Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Wdyd for a summer upsherin?

mommee

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 9:02 pm
I'm making my ds an upsherin in a few weeks and now as I got to thinking about it I was wondering; where does one take their son to do the whole alef beis with the rebbi etc during the summer?

(any and all suggestions directly pertaining to Brooklyn or the country may be helpful, thanks.)

groisamomma

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 10:11 pm
We cut ds's hair erev shabbos in my parents' bungalow colony and Sunday morning my mil made a big splash at her bungalow colony. On his actual birthday two days later my dh took him to the cheder in a boys camp where the Kitah Aleph rebbe did the whole honey thing and ds gave out pekelach. It looked to me like the rebbe was used to the routine and the kids all knew the songs so it must be that other pple also do it.

newlymarried

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 10:14 pm
groisamomma wrote:
We cut ds's hair erev shabbos in my parents' bungalow colony and Sunday morning my mil made a big splash at her bungalow colony. On his actual birthday two days later my dh took him to the cheder in a boys camp where the Kitah Aleph rebbe did the whole honey thing and ds gave out pekelach. It looked to me like the rebbe was used to the routine and the kids all knew the songs so it must be that other pple also do it.

You cut his hair before he turned 3?

mommee

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 10:24 pm
In response to her cutting before her sons birthday:
Often times the hebrew birthday and the english birthday fall out on different dates so you never know....
Also, our ds birthday is duringthe 3 weeks and when we asked our rav about when to do the upsherin he said we could do it beforeor after. Just pick a date.

lamplighter

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 10:49 pm
I don't think an english birthday would have an implications on an upshernish (appropriate time for cutting his hair).

One of my siblings did it in the city and went to the day camp, where the Rebbi there did the whole honey thing etc.

mommee

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 11:12 pm
You're right about the english birthday not holding much weight with regards to the upsherin.
Thanks for telling me about the day camp.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 11:16 pm
ice cream sundae bar!

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 11:16 pm
in the back yard, or park or whatever.

mommee

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 11:21 pm
Thanks for your suggestions. My question wasnt where to hold the party. The question is where to get a good rebbi to do the alef beis with him now.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 12:32 am
Brooklyn is full of chadorim in session, and many colonies have rebbis too.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 12:40 am
Most boys day camps have morning rebbes.

mommee

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 12:41 am
Thanks mamabear and ramom. How does one go about arranging such a thing? Just by calling the school/camp?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 1:46 am
mommee wrote:
Thanks mamabear and ramom. How does one go about arranging such a thing? Just by calling the school/camp?
I think so.

Mommy3.5

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 11:57 am
we wrapped our son in a talit an had both grandfathers do it with him. It was really nice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics