Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
9 days menu w/o fish, eggs and dairy
Previous  1  2

JewishMother18

Post Mon, Aug 01 2011, 1:47 am
oh my goodness that must be so hard to work around - the only things I can think of off the top of my head are -

beans on toast
jacket potatoes with selection of fillings
chilli
veggie hot dogs
felafel burgers
couscous with vegetables made with parev chicken stock
minestrone soup - if you can get egg-free pasta
pasta with selection of sauces (if you can get egg-free pasta)
lentil & barley roast

Good luck

aidelmaidel

Post Mon, Aug 01 2011, 2:57 am
www.vegetariantimes.com. This website will save you. Thousands of recipes, all vegetarian or vegan.

Rice and beans
Tacos with fake (soy) meat
Salads
Pizza
Pasta
Stuffed squash
Soups
Sandwiches (pbj, grilled veggies, etc)

yOungM0mmy

Post Mon, Aug 01 2011, 3:46 am
I'm allergic to fish and nuts, intolerant to eggs and dairy, and one son is allergic to eggs and dairy in all forms.
Lentil soup (loosely based on the one from Kosher By Design) is a hit, the kids eat it with pasta in
Falafel and pita and all the fillings
homemade pizza using a no-egg challah recipe (I have a super easy one if you would like), and tomato sauce, grilled veg, etc.
majedra
tival sausages or burgers
cereal and soya milk
any thick soup - I throw in a couple of cans of beans and then blend it up for protein, serve with pita chips
mashed potatoes and jacket potatoes with baked beans
Quinoa with fried mushrooms and onions
pasta with stir fried veg and some soy cream to make a creamy sauce, can stir in some toffuti cream cheese for more creaminess and protein
Orgran make a buckwheat pancake mix which you can just add water and/or oil to. It didn't go down so well here, but smothered in maple syrup it was ok.
Good luck

allrgymama

Post Mon, Aug 01 2011, 7:46 am
I'm going to add my voice to those saying you should ask a sailah.

I don't know how old your children are or their genders (as far as what halacha or chinuch would demand of them) but without fish and dairy and eggs, what are your children supposed to eat?

DD is severely allergic to milk and won't eat an egg to save her life (used to be allergic, not sure if that has anything to do with it). She won't eat sandwiches, or plain pasta or soy yogurts. She is just over 2 years old and she will definitely be eating chicken during the 9 days -- I don't have a choice in the matter. Granted, it'll be chicken nuggets instead of a different fresh chicken dish every night because I'm not cooking chicken for 1 (fairly little) person, but she will be having chicken.

So yeah, ask a shailah.

As far as recipes go, check out the vegan sites that everyone else posted about and I put up a thread a few months ago in the Allergy Forum for coconut pancakes from Bon Appetite that are egg-free. I know it's more of a breakfast food and I don't know if your kids would like them (I thought the texture was awful, but DD gobbled them up) but it doesn't sound like you have a lot of options left.

MeadowsLane

Post Mon, Aug 01 2011, 8:17 am
I dont know if you want to be adventurous, but you can try indian. there are lots of vegan recipes. I like this site because its a home cook and she puts up videos: manjulaskitchen.com

Barefoot Contessa

Post Mon, Aug 01 2011, 9:40 am
Use soy products as substitue for dairy

Raisin

Post Mon, Aug 01 2011, 9:50 am
since some people can eat fish, and some can eat dairy, I would make fish just for the people who eat it. Likewise you can add cheese to pasta for those who can have it.

DrMom

Post Mon, Aug 01 2011, 9:52 am
yentagolda wrote:
any ideas? one kid is allergic to eggs, dairy and fish. another is allergic to dairy and fish, and yet another is allergic to fish. dh hates dairy but will eat fish. menu planning for the 9 days is the hardest part of dealing with allergies. hoping some responses here can ease that for me.

Since every person in your family is not allergic to all three food categories (fish/eggs/dairy), maybe one day you can make a sort of "salad bar" with a veggie-based salad and additions that people can opt to add or omit. The additions can include beans (for those allergic to everything else), cheese cubes, tuna, and hard-boiled eggs.

Serve with soup (lentil soup or minestrone with beans for extra protein) and crusty bread.

DovDov

Post Mon, Aug 01 2011, 9:56 am
For veggie lasagna, you can mix mashed tofu in with the tomato sauce to give it a creamier texture. We spread a thin layer of tomato or marinara sauce, and hten alternate noodles with tomato/tofu/veggie sauce. For the sauce, we saute onions, peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, and whatever else we have on hand, and add marinara sauce and crushed tofu.

The only allergies in my family are nut allergies, but we end up eating vegan half the time anyway. (Most of the rest of the time it's similar with eggs and dair) Some favorites are:

Rice and beans, using an Italian or Spanish rice recipe and adding kidneys (make with brown rice for protein)

Corn and black bean casserole

Cabbage soup, cabbage and noodles, sauteed red cabbage with red onions and garlic.

Honey baked lentils with brown rice

Mashed potatoes with mushroom sauce

White bean soup

Hearty veggie soup (basically whatever's in the house; usually includes carrots, onions, garlic, zucchini, potatoes, tomatos, chickpeas, red beans, string beans)

Pasta with grilled eggplant sauce (chop and grill eggplant, toss with tomato sauce)

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Aug 01 2011, 10:06 am
My Paella recipe is posted here, it's rice and vegetables. I'm actually making it again tonite.

I guess blintzes might have eggs. What does Op's family use for that sort of thing? Can you use an egg replacer or extra water, or ...

momluv

Post Mon, Aug 01 2011, 12:23 pm
thanks for all your suggestions. I will sort them through and see what'll work. as for asking a shaila, the past few yrs we got the kids a heter for fleishigs. dh will b asking again. I just wanted options that will allow me to just make 1 supper instead of 2-3.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 01 2011, 1:10 pm
http://www.womansday.com/Recip......html

I make this sometimes with cheese and sometimes without.

Basically, pasta, sauce, and eggplant.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Aug 01 2011, 2:26 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
We're making pasta with pesto one night. Paella the other.

What about blintzes ?
eggss are the main ingredient of blintzes....

Some things I plan:
vegan pancakes
falafel/salad/pita
vegetable soup
Broccoli cauliflower soup
In search of a vegan French toast recipe that is also banana free
rice and lentils
pasta one night
tofutti pizza/regular pizza for non allergic kids.

sides:

corn on the cob
salads
canned corn
french fries
mashed potatoes
rice

HTH, we can do fish, so we will have that one night, but not more then that as my husband is not a fish fan. I also struggle with 9 days planning. When I was nursing a dairy/egg/peanut/nut/many legumes++++ allergic child, we both had a heter for meat, my son is almost 3 and we still have the heter, its worth asking about.

whimsy

Post Mon, Aug 01 2011, 5:15 pm
1. pasta with sauteed cabbage.
2. pasta with olive oil kosher salt garlic and basil with chopped fresh vegetables
3. I have made potato latkes and vegetable latkes with adding oil instead of eggs
4. pita with spreads and veggies (chumus or parve cream cheese)
5. garlic bread with veggie soup
6. spice & spirit has a basic pancake recipe I've skipped the eggs and used soymilk with. you can add chopped fruit or berries in the batter than serve with syrup or tofutti sour cream
7. chinese style noodles with soy sauce sugar and oil with edamame and baby corns sliced peppers etc.

Good luck!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking