Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Brush therapy

amother

Post Tue, Aug 02 2011, 3:37 am
Someone mentioned this on a different thread. I have a teenage dd and I think she has a sensory disorder. She doesn't like the feel of water or being touched. Please don't suggest paid therapy because we can't afford it.

ElTam

Post Tue, Aug 02 2011, 11:36 am
I do brush therapy with my daughter. She enjoys it. I only do it for about 10 minutes at a time. I do not do her stomach (I was told by an OT and read several places not to do the stomach). I let her pick if she wants me to do it over the clothes or on bare skin.

I make sure to do it when other kids are not around and make it the time to talk about fun/non-stressful things, so she looks forward to it. I think it helps her.

ElTam

Post Tue, Aug 02 2011, 11:36 am
And I got three brushes pretty cheap on the internet.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 02 2011, 11:56 am
Hi. I teach kids with special needs, and have used brushing with some of them. The OTs in my current job were very particular about training me to brush (even though I had done it for years). I do agree with them, however, that you should be trained. Timing is important, location, (ie, never on the stomach), pressure, etc.
Google "Wilbarger Technique" and read about it. Joint compression should follow each brushing session. Perhaps you can find someone who will show you how it is done. If done correctly, and regularly, you can have positive results. It does not, however, work for everyone. There are other ways to help a child with sensory problems. See what you can find on the internet.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 02 2011, 12:01 pm
I am an OT. You have a few options:

1. Read books about sensory integration, including The Out Of Sync Child and Raising a Sensory Smart Child. I highly recommend this option, even if you choose another one as well.

2. Go to an OT for a consultation. She can help you figure out how to help your child on your own. You will pay a one time fee, but it will be individualized for your daughter, not generic.

Anyone can do brushing, but they must be trained properly. Not doing it 100% correctly can be a waste of time at best, and harmful at worst. If you think brushing would work, based on your research, I would suggest getting a trained OT at least to teach you the method. Do you know anyone who would do you this favor?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)