Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Homemade Concoction! Delicious

Do you try creating new recipies and concotions?
absolutely- how else do you cook?  
 47%  [ 41 ]
sometimes- depending if im in the mood  
 33%  [ 29 ]
nah- I follow the recipe book  
 18%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 86

blue eyes

Post Tue, Aug 02 2011, 8:08 pm
I looked into my fridge today and wanted to make something different- lo and behold my concotion came out so good! figured I 'd share it.

take a squash cut off the top and bottom
wash the peels well and slice in half lenghtwise

sautee an onion and then asdd a bit of milk . let squash cook on the onions for a ten minutes with a little salt, garlic powder,black pepper.

smear a bit of sour cream on the squash and sprinkle with sugar and let it cook for another fifteen minutes.

it came out delicious!!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Aug 03 2011, 8:22 am
My dh does that, often. 99% of the time it comes out fine, good or delicious.

Of course books and recipes are also very useful, if only for inspiration or as basis!

melbee

Post Wed, Aug 03 2011, 9:27 am
I'm boring and always follow the cookbook directions. DH on the other hand never met a direction he would follow in the kitchen, and goes strictly by what he thinks would work together. He's the primary cook in our family, and often gives me hints on substitutions for baking. It has so far always come out great!

Bea21

Post Wed, Aug 03 2011, 9:53 am
Do this all the time. In fact, the only recipes I do follow are for baking because I'm nervous to mess up the ratios.
Sometimes I'll take a recipe and adjust to my own tastes. One example of this: I found a recipe for a salad online. Liked the way it looked, but I thought it might taste good with some crunch--so I made up a recipe for candies walnuts and tossed them in the salad. I then decided that it needed avocados and hearts of palm. I also took out the scallions (I didn't have any--but sometimes I'll use shallots instead) and some other things that I don't remember, and made up a vinaigrette... This salad is my most-requested food by Shabbos guests, and I don't think I would recognize the original recipe if I saw it again!

EvenI

Post Wed, Aug 03 2011, 9:58 am
This reminds me of a strange and annoying story. I'll use this thread as group therapy. You don't mind, do you?

My mother, who knows how to cook well and cooks a wide variety of dishes, always made a lot of things, not everything, but a lot of things, from cookbooks when I was growing up, so that was normal to me. When I was first married, I had a few books. I had quite a lot of cooking experience by the time I was married. I used books for ideas and because of the tried and true aspect. I was very happy with my cooking. My ILs visited at that time and saw me use recipe books, which was normal to me, so I thought nothing of it.

Years later, we were with my ILs and someone made a comment about my cooking. Something mildly complimentary. My FIL said to me "remember when you were first married, you used to use a book, didn't you?" with a sort of smirk, expecting me to say something like, "yeah, I had no idea what I was doing, so I had to follow recipes." So irksome! Anyway, it seems that to my FIL, a cookbook means you don't know how to cook!

blue eyes

Post Wed, Aug 03 2011, 10:05 am
EvenI wrote:
This reminds me of a strange and annoying story. I'll use this thread as group therapy. You don't mind, do you?

My mother, who knows how to cook well and cooks a wide variety of dishes, always made a lot of things, not everything, but a lot of things, from cookbooks when I was growing up, so that was normal to me. When I was first married, I had a few books. I had quite a lot of cooking experience by the time I was married. I used books for ideas and because of the tried and true aspect. I was very happy with my cooking. My ILs visited at that time and saw me use recipe books, which was normal to me, so I thought nothing of it.

Years later, we were with my ILs and someone made a comment about my cooking. Something mildly complimentary. My FIL said to me "remember when you were first married, you used to use a book, didn't you?" with a sort of smirk, expecting me to say something like, "yeah, I had no idea what I was doing, so I had to follow recipes." So irksome! Anyway, it seems that to my FIL, a cookbook means you don't know how to cook!

oh wow! I'd never think of it that way. the way I view it is that its the normal ppl that tuse cookbooks and clip recipies .its the daring- wackey ppl that just stuff whatever they feel like into the pot and something delicious come out!

if your a professional then thats a diff story- but Im talking about the average woman.

EvenI

Post Wed, Aug 03 2011, 10:16 am
blue eyes wrote:
EvenI wrote:

oh wow! I'd never think of it that way. the way I view it is that its the normal ppl that tuse cookbooks and clip recipies .its the daring- wackey ppl that just stuff whatever they feel like into the pot and something delicious come out!

if your a professional then thats a diff story- but Im talking about the average woman.

I suppose there must be a third type, because my MIL (who cooks) and FIL (who eats) are not at all daring or wacky. It's the unadventurous type that cooks foods that they have been cooking for many years. Or when they try new things, they only care for the basic idea and don't care exactly how it comes out. That's basically my MIL and cooking, since I've known her anyway. She isn't wacky and daring at all. If she were to bake anything, she would use a recipe, but she avoids baking due to health reasons, I.e. she has to take it easy, so she simplifies her life by buying baking goods.

I do about half and half, I think, but when I do use a recipe, I often don't really follow it, because I use whatever I have in the house, and take shortcuts if I need to. I also experiment quite a lot. And I try to learn the science/art behind methods of cooking and designing recipes so that I can tweak things.

ChaniH

Post Wed, Aug 03 2011, 12:48 pm
I use recpies when I bake or make something specific like blintzes, but when I make soup I just through in what ever I have and hope for the best Smile sometimes it works and some times not

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Aug 03 2011, 1:17 pm
I literally grew up reading my mother's extensive cooking books/magazines so I don't feel a need to follow instructions. I'm also good with reverse engineering--a family habit, my mum is excellent at re-creating something she ate at someone's house or restaurants, and I do share this a bit.

So overall, usually I don't follow cookbook because A) it's such a familiar dish I can cook from memory, B) I can figure out what's in it, what ingredients or spices go nicely together and how it's prepared, or C) no need to as I taste as I cook to make sure the end products tastes ok.

The only exception is baking where I have less expertise (my mum never baked) and where you really need to be exact. Or if I'm trying totally new recipe I haven't tried.

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Aug 03 2011, 1:25 pm
I use a cookbook/recipes alot but I often change them a bit/substitute things for ing. I dont have.
and sometimes I just open my cupboards and make a concoction thats fun Smile

Happy18

Post Wed, Aug 03 2011, 5:36 pm
I generally use recipes but frequently don't follow the correct amounts.

It always amuses me when people try to recreate some of my recipes especially when I've told them I change things.

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 03 2011, 6:11 pm
I mostly follow recipes but often tweak them. I usually know what works and what won't.

I find good cooks make use of cookbooks, in general.

observer

Post Wed, Aug 03 2011, 6:20 pm
EvenI wrote:
blue eyes wrote:
EvenI wrote:

I suppose there must be a third type, because my MIL (who cooks) and FIL (who eats) are not at all daring or wacky. It's the unadventurous type that cooks foods that they have been cooking for many years. Or when they try new things, they only care for the basic idea and don't care exactly how it comes out. That's basically my MIL and cooking, since I've known her anyway. She isn't wacky and daring at all. If she were to bake anything, she would use a recipe, but she avoids baking due to health reasons, I.e. she has to take it easy, so she simplifies her life by buying baking goods.

I do about half and half, I think, but when I do use a recipe, I often don't really follow it, because I use whatever I have in the house, and take shortcuts if I need to. I also experiment quite a lot. And I try to learn the science/art behind methods of cooking and designing recipes so that I can tweak things.

Or she just makes the same ten recipes over and over, so she knows them by heart.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Aug 03 2011, 9:21 pm
Recipe books are strictly for inspiration. I don't follow any recipes for cooking, only for baking (which I don't do much of anyhow).
B"H food comes out delicious 99%+. The downside is I can never exactly replicate any dish 100%.

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 8:46 am
EvenI wrote:
My FIL said to me "remember when you were first married, you used to use a book, didn't you?" with a sort of smirk, expecting me to say something like, "yeah, I had no idea what I was doing, so I had to follow recipes." So irksome! Anyway, it seems that to my FIL, a cookbook means you don't know how to cook!

My sympathies, that was pretty snide of your fil. Not what he said, which was innocuous, but how you say he said it. Using a cookbook doesn't mean you don't know how to cook any more than using a dress pattern means you don't know how to sew. FTR, even professional chefs use cookbooks, though obviously not all the time.

YoYo

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 8:59 am
I read cookbooks for 'fun' and inspiration, and then I adapt all the way. I love being creative with my cooking.
I pretty much follow recipes when I bake, but even then, I often add a 'YoYo' twist :-) So definitely number 1.

willow

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 10:40 am
I love reading recipes and watching cooking shows. But when I cook my own concoctions rule.
Its my personality not to be exact so it makes it fun only thing is if I make something great its pretty impossible to replicate exactly.
Today for lunch I made spanikota with the most delicious filling I sauteed fresh finely diced onions, garlic I added some fresh sliced mushrooms and spinach I cooked it down with some fresh ground pepper. Near the end I squeezed some fresh lemon in to give the whole mixture a beautiful lift.
Then I rolled out my pastry
I put a mixture of chive or dill flavored cream cheese, feta cheese, mozzarella and smoked cheese and mixed it together with the onion and spinach mixture. (by the way don't add salt the cheeses especially the feta adds the saltiness it needs)
I poured it into the pastry and rolled it up.
Some egg on top and Yum!!

The only addition I would have made is some pine nuts although the mushrooms did add a nice texture. I left it out because my husband is allergic to nuts and even though pine nuts are ok he has a mental block to them!!

nylon

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 10:56 am
Generally, I make something according to the recipe the first time. This way, I know what the writer intended. Then, if I make it again, I tweak it to my tastes. With baking, I know enough that I can often tweak the recipe, but I am much more careful in general--you can't just throw some baking powder and flour in the bowl and hope it's right!

Sometimes I'll use a recipe just as inspiration, but I usually follow it the first time. Otherwise, you get Epicurious commenters: "I changed X and Y and Z, and it was terrible! I'm never making this recipe again!"

I will make dishes completely from scratch with no recipe--but if I'm starting with a recipe, I change it once I know how it turns out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals