Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Can I go to the mall in the nine days

nice and easy

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 2:54 am
I am going to be near a shopping mall on sunday & was wondering if anyone know if I"m alowed to go shopping since it's the week of Tisha B'av. is there a real problem shopping for clothing for myself or kids in nine days? (source pls) thanks

shalhevet

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 3:15 am
Yes, it's assur to buy new clothing during the Nine Days. I don't have a source to hand, but it's accepted halacha. The only thing you can buy is shoes for TB if you don't have. We aren't really supposed to buy anything except for mundane, immediate needs like food.

When I opened this thread I thought it was just a question of wandering around the mall without buying - I don't know if that is assur, but even that wouldn't be in the spirit of these days.

This week is also more stringent than last.

Seraph

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 3:38 am
Is there a concept of hefsed meruba if you can get something cheaper now but can't get it later, so long as you don't wear it until after tisha b'av?

shalhevet

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 3:49 am
Yes, but I don't think it is stam cheaper - I think it has to be a real bargain which won't be available after TB. Everyone should ask their LOR exactly what it means in their circumstances.

But it also didn't sound like the OP had heard they were selling girls' skirts for 80% today only - more like she wanted to wander around the mall and see what she would find.

Seraph

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 3:58 am
shalhevet wrote:
Yes, but I don't think it is stam cheaper - I think it has to be a real bargain which won't be available after TB. Everyone should ask their LOR exactly what it means in their circumstances.

But it also didn't sound like the OP had heard they were selling girls' skirts for 80% today only - more like she wanted to wander around the mall and see what she would find.
I honestly was asking more for myself. I was in another city last week (so less strict, because not shavua shechal bo), and I saw maternity skirts for 40 shekel a piece, and the cheapest I've seen them around here was for 90-120 shekel a piece, and I desperately needed skirts, so I bought 2. Trying to make sure I didn't do an aveira.

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 4:25 am
Seraph wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

I honestly was asking more for myself. I was in another city last week (so less strict, because not shavua shechal bo), and I saw maternity skirts for 40 shekel a piece, and the cheapest I've seen them around here was for 90-120 shekel a piece, and I desperately needed skirts, so I bought 2. Trying to make sure I didn't do an aveira.

My rav said the year we were in the states we could buy things on sale we would miss out on (real good sales), but not "stam" to shop.

They were doing amazing clothing sales that were over the week before 9 Av so we bought the week before (not the shavua of) and saved them until after 9 Av.

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 4:30 am
Seraph wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

My rav said the year we were in the states we could buy things on sale we would miss out on (real good sales), but not "stam" to shop.

They were doing amazing clothing sales that were over the week before 9 Av so we bought the week before (not the shavua of) and saved them until after 9 Av.

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 4:30 am
Seraph wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions