Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is my daughter delirious?

Nicole

Post Sat, Feb 26 2011, 9:55 pm
She's 4 years old and sick, just started antibiotics about 2 hours ago, had a fever of 102.6 when I last took it. She just woke up and scared the HECK out of me with this convo.

"mommy, I'm scared"
"what are you scared of?
"I don't know, I just feel scared"
"do you know what it might be?"
"everything feels different"
"how does it feel different?
"This [her special blanket] feels like sheep wool, and the wall feels like skin"
me: shock

I have a history working with psych pts so this really scared me. she asked to go to my bed and I moved her there and asked if this wall feels like skin. She touched it and said, "no, it feels like it feels every day" I'm wondering if she was having weird fever related dreams or something and right when she woke up was still confused, but as time went on, she cleared up. She knew her name so she was not disoriented.
Has anyone else experienced this?

*** please do not respond unless you have direct experience with this. I really don't want to hear bizarre stories and freak outs from ppl unless you really know what you're talking about. (sorry to sound so harsh, but I'm envisioning millions of reponses of "omg, call hatzalah this MINUTE... blablabla)

mommyX2

Post Sat, Feb 26 2011, 10:27 pm
why not call a dr? it doesn't hurt to speak with the dr on call.

amother

Post Sat, Feb 26 2011, 10:28 pm
I used to experience something similar all the time when I had fever as a child. I would feel that my blanket was big grains of sands that would grow and grow...whatever it's hard to explain. My sister used to have the same dream every time she had fever.

I really don't think it's an issue. I was never hospitalized bh, and I was a healthy child.

I hope your daughter feels better.

Yippie

Post Sat, Feb 26 2011, 11:48 pm
I think its very normal when having fever. I remember when I was a child and had fever I had those funny wierd feelings when sleeping- everything sounded different . I could talk non sense then!
And refuah sheliema 2 ur dear daughter!! That's childhood!

amother

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 12:07 am
Call the doctor on call. A young child with a fever is never a good thing anyway, and it can't hurt to ask. And this could be a response to the fever, the antibiotics, and dehydration. You just don't know in a child that age. I'm not a licensed MD and I haven't examined your child, but you need to have your child evaluated to ensure that that she is properly hydrated (that's my hunch), not having a reaction to the antibiotics, and also that her fever is being properly managed. A doctor might be able to recommend the proper dosage of a OTC (over the counter) med to lower the fever, but at a dosage appropriate for a child of her weight and size.

But yes--get hold of someone. And take a deep breath. You'll be ok, too. You're a good mother who is handling this well.

allergypro

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 1:30 am
A few months ago my dd had high fever and she spent the night imagining things. She saw a bird flying in her room, etc. I was terified! She spent the remainder of the night in my bed and we went to the dr. in the morning. Without even checking her the dr. said she probably has strept. She took a culture, which was positive, and then put her onto very strong antibiotics. B"H a day or 2 later dd was back to herself.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 1:34 am
Its something called fever dreams (or something like that).
My husband once was so sick that he woke me in the middle of the night sure that there was someone in our closet with a knife. LOL boy was I petrified. he went back to sleep and did not even remember what he said in the morning.
When I was younger, I used to get three weird dreams when I was sick / had high fever. It also had to do with things feeling different than what they should have felt like. (you want weird, in later years, it came out that myself, my mother and one of my sisters have the same dream when we are sick. spooky Smile )

Take her to the doctor to put your ming at ease, but also know that this really is normal. it happens to many of us.

ABC

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 2:33 am
call a dr.

Last edited by ABC on Mon, Feb 28 2011, 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Nicole

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 4:20 pm
Sorry, I forgot to say that when this happened, we had just been BACK from the doctor for about 40 min. Very Happy
In any case, she's fine today.

Liba

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 4:54 pm
When my son spent the night hallucinating our pediatrician said that it is often a sign of strep and that it isn't terribly worrisome in children and the elderly when they have fever. Adults with fever generally don't hallucinate, but children do.

Call the ped if you are worried, but ours was not and my son was B"H fine.

Refuah shelayma!

moon__star

Post Mon, Aug 08 2011, 3:17 am
amother wrote:
I used to experience something similar all the time when I had fever as a child. I would feel that my blanket was big grains of sands that would grow and grow...whatever it's hard to explain. My sister used to have the same dream every time she had fever.

I really don't think it's an issue. I was never hospitalized bh, and I was a healthy child.

I hope your daughter feels better.

Same here. Except the blanket was REALLY heavy, like it was pulling me down but still light, everything felt super thick especially when squeezed, and sounds were very loud and fast. I also used to have dreams about balls rolling and getting bigger and bigger. If I talked really loud and fast, and squeexed something really hard, it would help make things feel a bit more normal.

Must be some sort of sensory perception being thrown off.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics