Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Seeking warm Chabad community

amother

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 9:51 pm
Here's my situation: DH is Chabad, I haven't found/forged enough of a connection to feel Chabad, and we send some of our kids to Chabad cheder (we live way OOT). We're BT too (can you tell?). We live in a small mostly Yeshivish and MO community with a handful of Lubavitchers, and the Chabad community (very small) is in a neighboring city.

I feel that it would be a good idea to find a warm, supportive Chabad community with serious learning opportunities so that I can make a connection and be more on the same page with DH. I think it would be a good idea for my kids to be around more Lubavitchers, to feel more 'normalized'.

A few communities have been mentioned to us: Chicago, Pittsburgh and Monsey. I'm not a big city person so Chicago feels intimidating. I've heard that the economy isn't so hot in Pittsburgh, and I never imagined myself living in NY. But then again, life's circumstances have changed so often that I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Any ideas?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 8:10 am
bump - please!

Akeres Habayis

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 8:14 am
u need to search on this site. there r a few places, w/ info about the kehilla.
one that comes to mind, that might be good for BOTH of u, coral springs florida. schools, heimishe kehilla. u also have nmb florida which is the community I lived in before israel. search on this site, and hopefully u will come up w/more kehillot.
btw
why didnt u post I nthe life in lub sectioan? if not a member u should join.

zigi

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 9:18 am
monsey is nice. they have schools shuirim etc. and its a suburb. but with a lot of yidden and kosher food.

chicago is in a more suburb setting its not like ch. there are some quiet streets and back yards. you should check it out.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 6:29 pm
How about Milwaukee? The chababd community is growing and very close and friendly.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 7:39 pm
If I were in your situation I would be considering Chicago or Monsey.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 5:58 am
Albany is great, there are several Chabad houses, and a shtiebel. We have a yeshivah. Its a nice OOT community.There is a large Chabad presence here and in the surrounding area.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 3:46 pm
OP here. Thank you for all the replies! While Florida would be great for the weather, there would probably be tsnius issues as well (same with Cali).

Leaning toward Monsey -- any thoughts on what it's like to live there? Esp. for someone in my situation? I'm the only frum one in my family and my parents have such a great relationship with my kids but also I see their not-so-good influence on them too (my son says he wants to eat non-kosher when he grows up, that's a latest bit). I'm wondering if being in an all frum environment will help with this. I know it doesn't guarantee anything, but with my own insecurities, maybe it would strengthen us? Again, I'm way OOT now.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 5:02 pm
Aside from Monsey - which I also think is a good option for you, I would tell you to consider Baltimore. There is a nice-sized Chabad community there, they have Shabbos women's shiurim (and lots of other shiurim for men), a Chabad cheder, as well as all the ammenities of a regular Frum community...it is also comprised of a lot of BT's, so you would feel very comfortable. Perhaps speak with the Rav, Rabbi Lisbon, and maybe he could even give you some families to speak to to get a feel for the community...

nylon

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 5:57 pm
Pittsburgh's economy is not that terrible. It's not Detroit or Cleveland. Housing prices have risen (Squirrel Hill is in the most desirable part of Pgh proper) but it's still relatively inexpensive.

I wouldn't move to Pgh with no job, but I wouldn't rule it out either.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 11:13 am
OP here. We're going to check out Monsey in a few weeks, B"H. Any tips would be much appreciated!

devorahh

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 3:43 am
Hi! I could have written this post. We also decided on Monsey. Would you be interesed in pm me. We could compare notes, help each other figure thing out. Id love to have a friend even before we move Smile.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating