Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby food maker

morah

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 11:52 am
It's still a few weeks away, but soon enough, IY'H, we'll be starting solids. I plan on making my own baby food. Which baby food makers would you recommend and why? I am not too concerned about price, as I expect it to pay for itself in the savings from avoiding jarred baby food- although of course if there's a not-too-expensive one that's good, I would like to hear about it!

Beach Bum

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 11:57 am
I used an immersion hand blender and it worked out great. All I did was cook the fruits or veggies, add some water, and blend. You can make it as smooth as you want, and its real easy to clean.

cubbie

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 1:10 pm
I have a 3 tier electic steamer which means that I can steam 3 different things at the same time - steaming is far healthier than boiling as you keep all the nutrients. Then I use the liquidiser on the top of my kenwood. I always make in bulk and freeze individual portions in little disposable dishes.

6yeladim

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 1:18 pm
Mazal tov on this new stage! If your baby is about six months old, you shouldn't need any special equipment. Mashing with a fork is enough for the first few weeks of solids until the baby can handle soft chunks. They can chew quite well with their gums, and many prefer textured foods to smooth ones.
A mashed banana or sweet potato are good starter foods. You can give the baby some of what you generally make for the family, although you'll want to avoid foods with extra sugar or salt.

Other good foods are melon, pear, frozen peas (they love to pick these up), chicken (can be cut small, does not need grinding although I wouldn't start with this one), grated apple, cooked carrot, potato, avocado, cooked dried beans, cooked onion, peaches.

Jewishmofm

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 1:54 pm
unless you really really want to clutter your kitchen with miscellaneous gadgets, I'd stick with a pot and a blender. (I use an immersion one, but a standing one works fine).

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 4:11 pm
Right. And some people seem to use ice cube trays to freeze portions.

spring13

Post Mon, Aug 22 2011, 1:32 pm
We got a magic bullet as a wedding gift, and it was perfect for the purpose - plus, we can use it for other things as well. DD loves smoothies!

we froze cubes in ice cube trays.

morah

Post Mon, Aug 22 2011, 2:45 pm
Thanks! I know about the ice cube trays for storing food, so that's what I'm going to do. I suppose an immersion blender would work best, already have 2 (milk and meat) for soups. Don't know why I didn't think of that for baby.

6yeladim- thanks for your advice. We are still actually a few weeks away from getting started, but I want to be prepared. He already sits at the table with us and watches us eat, but he's not quite 5 months, so not ready to actually start. I expect to start around Rosh Hashana- either right before or right after (not on, obviously, so we can take pictures!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics