Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Lev Bais Yaakov

amother

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 10:37 pm
Can someone tell me what the interview is like? Do they allow TV's and internet? How do they compare to PPY? We felt pretty judged and PPY when we interviewed and are not sending there.

This is for Pre-K/K. Thanks.

Ashrei

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 10:47 pm
We're also looking at schools.

What's PPY?

I look forward to response posts.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 10:49 pm
My daughter is in LBY now. We also had an interview at PPY. We felt much more comfortable at PPY. At the interview we didn't feel judged at all. They didn't ask us any personal or hashkafa questions. I felt the whole time they were trying to sell themselves to us! At the LBY interview, I felt this is the reason I hate Brooklyn so much. We had to sell ourselves. Tell them why we want to go there, who do we know who sends their kids there? We told them we have a tv and internet. They said if it ever becomes a problem they will ask us to get rid of it. I heard they checked out my husband and I. Don't get me wrong I love LBY so far. The preschool director and the teachers are wonderfull, I just don't feel like they wanted us as badly as I wanted my daughter to go there.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 11:12 pm
amother wrote:
My daughter is in LBY now. We also had an interview at PPY. We felt much more comfortable at PPY. At the interview we didn't feel judged at all. They didn't ask us any personal or hashkafa questions. I felt the whole time they were trying to sell themselves to us! At the LBY interview, I felt this is the reason I hate Brooklyn so much. We had to sell ourselves. Tell them why we want to go there, who do we know who sends their kids there? We told them we have a tv and internet. They said if it ever becomes a problem they will ask us to get rid of it. I heard they checked out my husband and I. Don't get me wrong I love LBY so far. The preschool director and the teachers are wonderfull, I just don't feel like they wanted us as badly as I wanted my daughter to go there.

Thanks for your response.

Can you tell me what type of people send to LBY? We are just plain frum, but more on the modern side ie secular education is important, I wear flip flops in the summer, dh wears t-shirts and jeans. Also, dh davens in MO shul because it's closest to our house, which I'm worried will be a problem.

To the PP, PPY- prospect park yeshiva

amother

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 8:44 am
My daughter has a mix of kids in her class. There are some from very yeshivish families and there are modern yeshivish. I don't see many moms outside of school fuctions so I don't know if they are the flip flop wearing kind. Alot of students have siblings in Toras Emes and they too have a mixture of students -many whom have tv's. My husband is not a black hatter he wears shorts, jeans and t-shirts when not at work. At the orientation I even saw a guy wearing jeans. We tooo daven at an MO shul because it is closest to us. I have to admit Toras Emes was not impresed but I'm not sure what they thought of it at Lev Bais Yaakov. Like I said the interview was pretty intimidating and I really don't know what they are looking for.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 9:08 am
My big one is in first grade PPY and my little just had her Kindergarden interview this week. Many of the parents have t.v.'s and wear short socks, and blue jeans. My DD wears jeans and shorts, which is o.k. with ppy. I think LBY would be too frum for people like us.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 10:03 am
so is LBY a more modern school? we have an interview with my daughter there, and we come from a heimish backround. we used to have a tv which we got rid but we still watch movies. im looking for a good education for my daughter. im always dressed tznius, but that doesnt mean that other mothers cant wear flip-flops, I just wanna know if we would or wouldnt fit in. please can someone tell us a little about the school? mother with pre-k age, thats the age my daughter will be so for now I want to know info on that too, not just older kids, even though I would love any info. I really do not know much about the school. please can someone help us?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 10:31 am
I have 2 daughters there... we love it! the staff is so warm and caring and makes sure the parents are very involved. They also have a beautiful new building! I would say it is a mixed crowd, some more frum, some more modern. The equivelant boys school would probably be Tiferes Yisroel.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 10:38 am
I never heard of tiferes yisroel but now im so confused cuz I dont know anything about the school. how can I send my kid to a school I know nothing about? I really know nothing about most of the schools here cuz I dint grow up here. how can I get more info on the school. what kind of education is it? what kind of views do they promote? how frum is the learning there? like do they care about the hebrew studies. do they have high education level or average?

rb

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 10:57 am
amother wrote:
I never heard of tiferes yisroel but now im so confused cuz I dont know anything about the school. how can I send my kid to a school I know nothing about? I really know nothing about most of the schools here cuz I dint grow up here. how can I get more info on the school. what kind of education is it? what kind of views do they promote? how frum is the learning there? like do they care about the hebrew studies. do they have high education level or average?

Are you from Flatbush? I am sure you can find out a parent that sends there. Call a parent, it's much better then asking a bunch of annonymous women on a Forum.

Tiferes Yisroel: Also called Chofetz Chaim, on Ave. L and 35th. Very popular school.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 12:11 pm
rb wrote:
amother wrote:

Are you from Flatbush? I am sure you can find out a parent that sends there. Call a parent, it's much better then asking a bunch of annonymous women on a Forum.

Tiferes Yisroel: Also called Chofetz Chaim, on Ave. L and 35th. Very popular school.
I actually live in kensington but y u so sure I can find. let me say again, I do not know anyone that sends there. I hardly know anyone here, and I really dont know too many ppl in flatbush at all. maybe I have a cousin I can try calling, but thats it, and I dont know where she sends her kids to school. I agree that its better to speak to someone than to get answers from anonymous ppl here. but right now thats my only thoughts on how to get info.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 12:53 pm
tiferes yisroel would probabl not be a good boys equivalent anymore anyway.....lev is a great schools but seems to be making strides to change and move away from the "chofetz chaim" image.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 12:55 pm
If you live in kensington there will not be many girls going from that area. I hope you drive b.c. it's very far w and nostrand it's not easy by public transp. Aside from that, I love the school. They are very into midos and I love what my daughter comes home with in terms of learning.

MommyofOnePlus

Post Mon, Aug 22 2011, 4:15 pm
What are Lev Bais Yaakov's hours for kindergarden? My husband and I work 9-5 so we are looking for a school that has a program that can keep my daughter occupied during the day. Right now she is in a wonderful daycare and we could possibly hire someone to drive her from school to the daycare, but that seems a little silly to me. Does anyone have a similar situation where they work all day?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics