Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Ds's stool was black

mommy#1

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 5:03 pm
I understand that infants stool changes very often. My Ds's stool did. But today it was black. Not a dark dark brown. Black!! Sorry if tmi, but it was also more liquidy than usual, though I'm not worried about that... He just started eating yogurts. That's the only different food. Is this normal? Tia

DovDov

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 5:29 pm
Black can mean intestinal bleeding, so I would call the pediatrician asap. I would also save the next diaper in case he wants to run tests.

Black can also mean he has too much iron (from formula or supplements) but that usually causes constipation, not runny stool. My kids also get black stool from blueberries -- did he have a lot of blueberries lately?

mommy#1

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 6:41 pm
Wow, you scared me until I read the last paragraph. He hardly has any formula; I'm nursing. He did eat a little of a jar of the beechnut apples & blueberries. But he didn't even finish a whole (stage 2) jar within the past 2 days. He only eats a few spoonfuls at once. Could that little blueberries have an effect? Should I still call the dr? Thanks!

DovDov

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 7:16 pm
I don't know, but I'm sure your pediatrician will have a better sense of it than I do. I am very hands'-off generally when it comes to medical intervention, but the first time you see black stool (I.e., you don't yet know what it looks like from food), especially if two or more in a row were like that, I would call the doctor. The worst it can do is make you feel silly.

If you had a normal diaper after, I'd assume it was food. If not, I'd call.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics