Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Chicken (on the bone) that reheats well

SV

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 2:46 pm
I get home about 2.5 hours before candle lighting on Fridays so I do all my cooking (I only leave fresh salad for Friday afternoons). I find that re-heated chicken just doesn't taste the same (all other food really is fine). Does anybody have any good chicken on the bone recipes that reheat well the next day?

TIA

ray family

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 3:09 pm
I would recommend something in a sauce. this way it doesn't get dried out.
or prep a chicken have it ready in the pan and the first thing you do as soon as you get home is pop it in the oven.
then you have a fresh baked chicken right out of the oven! (I always cook my chicken for 2.5-3 hrs. my kids like it falling off the bone tender)

greeneyes

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 5:27 pm
I would do as the previous poster suggested, prepare the chicken the night before or in the morning with whatever spices or sauce you'd like to use, & put it in the oven as soon as you get home.

I always do this with my Friday night chicken - prepare it early in the day & put it in the oven 1 1/2 - 2 hours before shabbos so it is fresh.

shanie5

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 5:32 pm
ray family wrote:
I would recommend something in a sauce. this way it doesn't get dried out.
or prep a chicken have it ready in the pan and the first thing you do as soon as you get home is pop it in the oven.
then you have a fresh baked chicken right out of the oven! (I always cook my chicken for 2.5-3 hrs. my kids like it falling off the bone tender)

chicken reheated will never be like fresh cooked.

One other option if time is short on friday: cook chicken 1/2 way on thursday. Finish cooking right before shabbos. Thats how ive seen professional chefs do it.

SV

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 8:37 pm
Thanks everybody. Actually, that's what I've been doing lately (preparing it the night before and sticking in the oven when I get home), but I find that it's too dry then because I end up cooking it for over 2 hours. Can you give me some ideas of sauces I can use so it doesnt dry out?

Dini20

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 8:55 pm
I make a great honey chicken:
1 c honey
1/2 c ketchup
1/2 c soy sauce
2 frozen garlic cubes
6 Tbsp brown sugar
Season chicken with garlic powder, pepper & paprika. Bake for 1/2 hour then pour sauce on. Baste as often as you remember for a total of 1 1/2 hrs. I bake it uncovered & then cover it when I put it in the oven (on 200) right before I light candles. You can clean & spice the chicken & have the sauce prepared in a separate container before you go to work in the morning.

sped

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 9:46 pm
Pour duck sauce over chicken. Yummy!
Also, mayonnaise and apricot jam make a good sauce.

shaini

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 10:37 pm
Chicken with red wine and mushrooms is a favourite in my family.

Brown the chicken in a saucepan. Pour off all/most of the fat remaining in the saucepan. Add mushroom chunks and chunks of onions, brown slightly then add some red wine. You can then either put the chicken back into the saucepan and cook for approximatley one to one and a half hours (I'm sure cut up chicken doesn't need two hours cooking) or put it all in a casserole dish and cook in the oven. Then I usually pour the gravy into another bowl so I can then take the fat off. I find that the gravy keeps the chicken moist.

I do something similar with apple cider (alcoholic) or apple juice and chopped up apples.

If your chicken is getting too dry the next day you may be cooking it for too long as don't forget that when you re-heat on Friday night the chicken is probably getting a little more cooking time.

ray family

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 4:45 pm
I know this is an old post. I'm just trying to find s/t for yontif.
I cook my chicken for a good 3-4 hrs w/o it getting dry
you need to cook it covered an only uncover for the last 1/2 hr. this way the juices don't evaporate.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey