Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Soup using only frozen or canned vegetables?

EMmom

Post Fri, Oct 22 2010, 10:35 am
I know it is not ideal but I am really busy for the next couple of months and love eating soup. Does anyone have recipes that does not involve cutting up ANY vegetables, which I take it means only using canned, packaged and frozen veggies? If so, please post!

louche

Post Fri, Oct 22 2010, 10:56 am
You can substitute canned or frozen veggies for fresh in pretty much any soup recipe. You don't need a special recipe, but your cooking time will be less and you may need to add the veggies later than you would if they were fresh.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 26 2010, 7:26 pm
Quick & Kosher has many such recipes. There's butternut squash soup, lentil soup, puree of bean vegetable soup, asian shiitake mushroom soup, beef porridge, Italian bean soup, turkey mushroom soup, un-stuffed cabbage soup, avgolemono soup... Some of them have soup mix, some have expensive ingredients.
If you don't use soup mix, I would recommend the butternut squash, beef porridge, unstuffed cabbage soup, and avgolemono (made with chicken soup).
Let me know if any of these recipes appeal to you.

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Oct 27 2010, 2:02 am
Not the healthiest but I love it.

Broth (veggie or chicken, I usually use parve "chicken"

Thin noodles (made separate).

Frozen mixed veggies.

Put the veggies and cooked noodles at the bottom of the bowl and pour boiling broth over (defrost veggies first or they will cool down the soup).

eshes chayil

Post Wed, Oct 27 2010, 2:14 am
one trick I like to use is saute lots of onion in advance and freeze in small portions. then when in a rush and no time to cut any veggies, this makes a great base for the soup. then I just add whatever frozen veggies I have Smile
and presto! yum!

Shopmiami49

Post Wed, Oct 27 2010, 3:42 am
RachelEve14 wrote:
Not the healthiest but I love it.

Broth (veggie or chicken, I usually use parve "chicken"

Thin noodles (made separate).

Frozen mixed veggies.

Put the veggies and cooked noodles at the bottom of the bowl and pour boiling broth over (defrost veggies first or they will cool down the soup).

I do this also, but with a MAJOR shortcut: I cook the noodles with the broth in a pot: bring the water and soup mix to a boil, add the noodles, and continue boiling till noodles are done. Pour the mix over veggies or stick veggies straight in soup and bring back to boil.

Shopmiami49

Post Wed, Oct 27 2010, 3:54 am
I also make tomato soup on the spot from either tomato paste, water, and rice, or a can of crushed tomatoes and rice (and spices of course!!)

Carrot soup with frozen or canned carrots and rice

Many times in the winter, I do this in the crockpot so it is warm all day. It makes a lot and we have it all week or freeze it:

1 bag frozen green beans
1 bag frozen corn
1 bag frozen peas
1 bag frozen carrots
1.5 c. kidney beans (raw or canned)
frozen peppers (optional)
frozen french fries or fresh potatoes
onion and garlic (optional - if you have time, great, if not compensate with more spices)
1 big can crushed tomatoes (or 2, depending on how big the bags of veggies are)
chunks of stew meat or frozen meatballs or cut up hot dogs
tomato paste
chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, bay leaf, salt, pepper, onion soup mix (if u use it)

raw macaroni - add at the end

Literally, just throw everything in. You can leave out whatever you don't like. I cook it for about 6-8 hours on low or overnight. YUM!!!

Raisin

Post Wed, Oct 27 2010, 3:58 am
I make a yummy carrot and coriander soup. you need onion, and celery or leek or something, but you can try skipping that if it is too time consuming.

you saute onions and celery, add carrots and cumin and coriander, salt,pepper and water/soup mix/veg broth. cook 1/2 an hour or till soft and blend.

1 onion, 4 stalks celery, 1 lb carrots, 1 litre water.

baba

Post Wed, Oct 27 2010, 4:05 am
My easiest soup recipe does involve a little chopping. Cut up an onion and one clove of garlic and fry them. Then add one bag of broccoli and one of cauliflower. Cover with water. If you want you can still add one or two potatoes cut up small. Bring to boil. Add any spices you like, pepper, salt, soup powder. Let simmer for about 40 min. If you want you can still add some non-dairy creamer (while hot, not boiling).

Easy and yummy.

sky

Post Wed, Oct 27 2010, 5:53 am
I've made regular split pea soup without cutting, I take my regular recipe and just replace everything with frozen or canned:

Like I'll use:
frozen diced onions
frozen diced carrots
canned diced potaotes
split peas
lima beans
barley
etc.

It comes out delicious.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Oct 27 2010, 6:07 am
I make nearly all my soups with frozen or canned vegetables.

Our favorites are:
Pea
Chinese corn soup (made with cream corn)
Vegetable soup
Pumpkin (although I like to add some sweet potato to it)
Broccoli

EMmom

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 5:43 am
ra_mom wrote:
Quick & Kosher has many such recipes. There's butternut squash soup, lentil soup, puree of bean vegetable soup, asian shiitake mushroom soup, beef porridge, Italian bean soup, turkey mushroom soup, un-stuffed cabbage soup, avgolemono soup... Some of them have soup mix, some have expensive ingredients.
If you don't use soup mix, I would recommend the butternut squash, beef porridge, unstuffed cabbage soup, and avgolemono (made with chicken soup).

ra_mom I know its been a while but any chance you can post the puree of bean vegetable soup and butternut squash soup?

elmos

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 3:32 pm
defygravity I know its a long time ago but can you post your chineese corn soup recipe please

Kugglegirl

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 4:55 pm
Vegetarian Vegetable Soup like from the Can- Pareve

8 qt. pot
1 jar prepared pasta sauce (because it has spices & some sugar. If using canned sauce, add spices & handful of sugar to taste & 2 tbs olive or vegetable oil)
1 large bag -mixed frozen vegetables (the carrots, green beans, peas & corn)
1-2 cans potatoes
2-3 tbs. tamari or soy sauce to taste

Put all these in the pot w. water to dilute as desired.

Bring to a boil.

Add: 1 box of alphabet noodles.

Stir & cook until noodles are done.

My kids really like this. Can be re-heated, sent in thermos, etc.

Simple1

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 5:34 pm
Kugglegirl wrote:
Vegetarian Vegetable Soup like from the Can- Pareve

8 qt. pot
1 jar prepared pasta sauce (because it has spices & some sugar. If using canned sauce, add spices & handful of sugar to taste & 2 tbs olive or vegetable oil)
1 large bag -mixed frozen vegetables (the carrots, green beans, peas & corn)
1-2 cans potatoes
2-3 tbs. tamari or soy sauce to taste

Put all these in the pot w. water to dilute as desired.

Bring to a boil.

Add: 1 box of alphabet noodles.

Stir & cook until noodles are done.

My kids really like this. Can be re-heated, sent in thermos, etc.

I'll have to try this. Soup is nice for supper but I don't always have time. This looks easy.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 8:52 pm
EMmom wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

ra_mom I know its been a while but any chance you can post the puree of bean vegetable soup and butternut squash soup?

Puree of Bean and Vegetable Soup

15 oz can white beans, drained
15 oz can red kidney beans, drained
15 oz can peas and carrots, drained
15 oz can sweet corn niblets, drained
15 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
2 cups water
1 cup non dairy creamer (or parve milk)
4 Tbsp oil
3 Tbsp vegetable soup mix (or salt to taste)
4 frozen garlic cubes (or 4 garlic cloves)

Place all ingredients in a 6 quart pot. Use a hand blender to puree until smooth.
Cover pot, bring to a boil, and simmer 10 minutes, until heated through.
Serve hot as soup, or cold as bean dip.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics