Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Which "adult" foods can I give her?????

amommy

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 7:40 pm
my almost 10 month old has been refusing to eat baby jars most of the time, so now she basically eats only yogurt and cheese and cut up peaches and mango. she started eating solids at 4,5 months,so I guess she's bored of the baby food. so my question is what foods can I give her? can they eat bread at that age? how about muffins? what else? she usually just ends up eating yogurt 3 times a day!!!!
(also she's teething now, and when her teeth r coming in she usually looses some appetite)

amother

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 7:46 pm
you cna give her basically everything!!! my dd is 11 months old and I give her everything, except what I deem unhealthy, and too spicy.
She eats whole wheat bread at least 2x a day! Ill even make a cream cheese sandwhic and cut it up for her. She eats all kugels/muffins I give her, she eats chicken or fish basically every night!
She also eats with us lunch on shabbos, and its the cutest thing watching her sit their with us, first having fish, then kugel, then some meat.
Be creative, just make sure not to overload with too much at once.
Try startin with breads, move onto protiens..

shmaichul

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 8:40 pm
yup! at that age my kids would eat whatever we were eating just cut up into smaller pieces! I found that they enjoyed eating 'real' food much more! (but I would still give jars on the side esp vegtables just to make sure they were getting enough...)

de_goldy

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 8:48 pm
Scrambled eggs
Avocado
Sweet potato
potato

AlwaysGrateful

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 9:55 am
Anything soft.

Bread is fine, especially whole wheat, but try getting some vegetables and protein into her that way too. Tofu, ground beef, soft sweet potato, carrots, pumpkin, squash, zuchini, spinach. You can also try bananas, chummus on Ritz crackers, or even cholent/beans!

questioner

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 10:23 am
My son loves cholent! He eats leftovers until Tues.
potato kugel
Any soup - if you have vegetables and lentils / beans and barley/rice, it's a complete meal
meatballs
rice
kasha

finger foods like bread, crackers, cheerios - though I feel like more lands up on the floor then in his mouth. Some kids eat chicken cut up into small pieces, my baby doesn't go for it, though if we shred it small enough and feed it to him, he'll eat it sometimes.

Overall, I find that he eats better when it's a "social" setting. Sometimes he won't touch a bite of supper, and then when he sees us eating, will come pick off our plate a little and then happily eat the same food he refused before.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 10:28 am
Find out which cerals aren't a choking hazard. Oatmeal.

amommy

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 12:06 pm
de_goldy wrote:
Scrambled eggs
Avocado
Sweet potato
potato

do u scrumble only the egg yokes? I thought childen under 1 shudnt have egg whites.

1Life2Live

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 12:10 pm
my 10 month old loves gefilte fish, any kind of kugel or roasted veggies. I also give him Challah, cheerios, eggs, rice pudding, yogurt and whatever else happens to be in my fridge.

amommy

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 12:51 pm
the problem is my baby's not a big eater....now she even refuses yogurt.... gotta try some new stuff..

SingALong

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 1:07 pm
I would steam diced veggies like butternut squash, carrots, peas etc, to the texture that its soft, so not a choking hazard, but not soft enough to be pureed. other veggies and fruit u can put in those net things they sell for babies to eat fruit with.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 1:17 pm
questioner wrote:

Overall, I find that he eats better when it's a "social" setting. Sometimes he won't touch a bite of supper, and then when he sees us eating, will come pick off our plate a little and then happily eat the same food he refused before.

I see the same thing with DS. On Shabbos, he'll eat soup with boiled carrots and pieces of kneidel, or beans/barley/shreds of meat from the cholent because DH and I are taking our time at the table. Getting DS to eat lunch on weekdays is much harder, because I don't usually sit down to eat, I just quickly stuff my face and run to my next errand or nosh throughout the day without really turning any of it into a meal.

DS always found babyfood too boring, he'd much rather have an actual piece of banana, or a sweet potato I'd mashed with a fork than the textureless, pureed homogenity of the jarred stuff.

Some more foods:
overboiled pasta (really, really soft, and not too big)
mango, kiwi, banana
cottage cheese (plain yogurt was too tangy, but cottage cheese doesn't have sugar like flavored yogurt)
hot cereals like farina, oatmeal, pastina
scrambled eggs
or whatever the grownups were eating, but cut into smaller pieces.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics