Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Can/should a 2.5 year old wear slip on shoes?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 4:08 pm
I'm referring to a loafer kind of shoe, not a low cut slip on. Do you think she still needs to be in classic high back booty kind of shoes? Or are loafers fine? (they're a good company)

Thanks.

letschat

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 4:28 pm
Can't see why not, my 1 year old had it for the summer, the Trumpette. She walked around pretty comfortable with it.

honeygold

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 5:11 pm
IMO slip ons are bad for such young children. They need a shoe with proper support.

Barbara

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 5:56 pm
honeygold wrote:
IMO slip ons are bad for such young children. They need a shoe with proper support.

AFAIK, young children not only don't need shoes with support, such shoes actually hurt the development of their feet.

For young kids, you need a very flexible shoe -- if should be easy to bend in half -- well fitted to the child's feet. The real reason for the shoe is protection from outside elements.

Tied shoes (or velcro) are easier to adjust to the width of the child's foot, and don't fall off as easily, so I'd go for them.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 8:42 pm
No need for a high back booty, but a secure fit for safety is paramount. I wouldn't even get my 3 year old slip ons yet.

allgood

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 8:47 pm
I would think it depends on the child's foot and their walk and therefore depends on the child. I never buy shoes without getting my kids fit as I know my daughter has a really flat foot (slip ons definatly don't work for her)

spring13

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 9:44 pm
No, kids don't need to wear ankle boots. My 18-month old spent the summer in sports sandals, and I just got her sneakers and mary janes for the fall.

Wearing something backless, like crocs or flipflops isn't smart. But a pair of well-made slip-ons is fine. Merrell has some nice ones; these are good quality shoes.

if you go to Stride Rite or Nordstrom, you'll see a lot of options for kids shoes. There's more to the world of shoes than ankle boots and loafers.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 10:59 pm
I don't let my 6 year old wear slip ons. She actually tried on a couple of pairs last week, and I had her walk up and down the length of the store a couple of times, and her foot always slips out eventually. I did that just to show her why I won't let her get them.

As others have said, too much support is not good. Your best choice is probably a normal shoe with velcro or laces.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 11:31 am
A slip-on is just that. You slip it on. I'd be afraid the kid would walk out of it or would trip or fall down as it wore out.

yaakovsmom

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 2:44 pm
I wouldn't do it for my kid. Little feet grow very quickly, and in order for a slip on to stay on, there's not going to be much room for growth. Any extra room and she'll have to clench her toes to keep her shoes on. That can't possibly be a good thing.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 2:47 pm
I would hold off on it until shes a bit older.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics