Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Any hope for DH's ties?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 24 2011, 1:07 pm
They attract stains after one minute of wearing (it seems!) :-(
Any way to clean DH's ties? I guess they're probably make of silk or some combination...
Just feels like it's such a waste - they can get so $$ for such a small strip of cloth that can only be worn a couple of times before it gets dirty...

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Aug 24 2011, 1:57 pm
dry clean them or try hand washing
buy cheap ties for like $10

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jul 05 2015, 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 24 2011, 2:37 pm
do not hand wash silk ties. dry clean. grease spots may come out if you rub in fuller's earth or corn starch and let set for a day or so, then vacuum off.

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 24 2011, 2:39 pm
Might I suggest that if your dh is "eating challenged" he tuck his tie into his shirt before eating or drinking? Or limit himself to darker colors and busier patterns, which help camouflage spots and dirt?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 24 2011, 2:58 pm
Haha Zaq very good idea!
He does get some of the stains from food, but other stains I often have no idea where they came from...
I'll try to reinforce (re)moving his tie at meal times...

newmother

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 8:57 pm
My mother sprays the whole tie with fantastic and then wipes it down and hangs it to dry. She has cleaned many ties this way and most came out perfectly, every once in a while a tie will get ruined but she warns everyone before she cleans it that she can't guarntee it. Right now tons of relatives and friends have started dropping ties off for her to clean cuz what she does reallt works!

ArthurDent

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 10:05 pm
I've had some luck with rubbing alcohol.

Water supposedly ruins silk ties, so you don't want to spot clean with water. But I have done it and have saved a few ties by then wetting the entire tie and hanging it to dry. (Not all were saved though.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry