Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Can you tell me what kind of meat this is? Thanks so much!

YW123

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 8:46 am
I never cooked meat in my life and I got a free piece but I have no clue what it is. It's frozen thats all I know.

1. 43 inches in length
2 very narrow width
3. wrapped in netting all around
4. very fatty

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 1:23 pm
You have a 3 1/2 foot long piece of meat ?!? shock

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 1:31 pm
The only meats that I've seen with net around them are chuck roasts. And they do have a lot of fat stuck in between the layers.
You could bake it as a roast, covered, at 350* F in wine, onions, garlic and/or spices, or make it into a pot roast.

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 1:35 pm
pot roast it.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 1:38 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
The only meats that I've seen with net around them are chuck roasts. And they do have a lot of fat stuck in between the layers.
You could bake it as a roast, covered, at 350* F in wine, onions, garlic and/or spices, or make it into a pot roast.
I've bought netted rib eye roast, minute roast, etc. but they are not too fatty.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 1:39 pm
I agree with Lady Godiva -- it sounds like a netted chuck roast. I've never seen one quite that long (how much does it weigh), but I have cooked one that was around 12 lb. -- I'd guess it was around 30-34" long.

You don't have to pot it. You can bake it (tightly covered -- in a cooking bag is even better if you've got one big enough or if you cut it in half) in any kind of sauce you like (let me know if you need recipes) for around 30 min. per lb. Then refrigerate it overnight, slice, return to sauce and cook for another half hour or so (make sure it is soft -- if not, cook longer after slicing).

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 1:40 pm
OP, can you weight your roast?
Lay it in a pan over a bed of onions, smear with crushed garlic and coarse salt. Glaze with sauce.
Cover tightly, and bake for 30 minutes per lb.
Cool completely before slicing.
Reheat in reserved cooking liquids.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 1:43 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Lay it in a pan over a bed of onions, smear with crushed garlic and coarse salt. Glaze with sauce.

Hey, ra! We must have both been writing our posts at the same time! As is often the case, we agree with each other.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 1:45 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

Hey, ra! We must have both been writing our posts at the same time! As is often the case, we agree with each other.
Lol OOTBubby! I was just coming back here to say that I see we must have posted at the same time, to post the same thing LOL
Great to 'see' you again Tongue Out

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 1:50 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I agree with Lady Godiva -- it sounds like a netted chuck roast. I've never seen one quite that long (how much does it weigh), but I have cooked one that was around 12 lb. -- I'd guess it was around 30-34" long.

You don't have to pot it. You can bake it (tightly covered -- in a cooking bag is even better if you've got one big enough or if you cut it in half) in any kind of sauce you like (let me know if you need recipes) for around 30 min. per lb. Then refrigerate it overnight, slice, return to sauce and cook for another half hour or so (make sure it is soft -- if not, cook longer after slicing).

by pot roast I mean cook in liquid. not dry roast.

but I agree with ootbubby. cook in a roasting bag, it will come out delicious.

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 1:51 pm
if there is a thin band of fat running through the middle it is blade, but anyway cook it the same way as pot roast.

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 1:54 pm
Raisin wrote:
if there is a thin band of fat running through the middle it is blade, but anyway cook it the same way as pot roast.

The roasts with the thin band of fat are normally the minute roasts.

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 2:13 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
Raisin wrote:

The roasts with the thin band of fat are normally the minute roasts.

sorry, minute is called blade here.

YW123

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 6:49 pm
yes its really 3.5 feet long! I measured it. I guess I will have to cut it before cooking cuz I dont have a pot that size. I will try your ideas. I really appreciate you all responding. I hope it tastes decent. happy yom tov.

shoemaker

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 7:04 pm
I would try not to cut it. try maybe a long crock pot or a roasting pan. if u cut it it might fall apart.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 7:08 pm
shoemaker wrote:
I would try not to cut it. try maybe a long crock pot or a roasting pan. if u cut it it might fall apart.

I think cutting it once in half should be okay -- I wouldn't try to cut it more than that though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics