Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
How are you cooking your simanin healthily?

Seraph

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 10:16 am
Looking for ideas how to make the various simanim healthily.
I know everyone defines healthy different, but still, was wondering how you were making the simanim healthily this year.

Liba

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 10:18 am
My beets and carrots are roasting with onions, a bit of olive oil, garlic and salt in the oven right now. I think they are pretty healthy and very tasty, this way.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 10:36 am
I'm a bit confused how they wouldn't be healthy...maybe I'm just too boring to figure out how they'd be messed up by adding in too many things!

We're not big into simanim -- what we have, we have. What we don't, we don't.

I'm planning on making honey glazed carrots (honey, OJ, ginger). I made squash last night and added a bit of honey, and cloves/nutmeg/cinnamon for a sweet dish. Pomegranate, etc is eaten plain.

Seraph

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 10:50 am
Well, theres fish. And theres carrots. And there's leek. And black eyed peas. And squash. And swiss chard. And of course pomegranate and apples and honey. But all of the first can be made unhealthily. I usually made most of the above with sugar... carrots in a sugar syrup with cinnamon, fish in a sweet sauce with sugar, black eyed peas boiled with sugar and salt...
Of course, not doing any of that this year.

I was wondering how other healthy minded people were doing.

Liba

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 10:53 am
I soak and boil my black eyed beans and then cook them in a frying pan with a bit of oil and a bit of honey. It isn't terribly healthy, but there is no refined sugar in it either.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 10:55 am
I put a few of the simanim into the soup - the carrots, gourd, leek. Pomegranates we eat plain. Beans and beets I make a salad. This year I am planning on the beet salad from Enlitened cooking (found it today and it has leeks in - looks good).

Marion

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 10:55 am
Pomegranate we eat raw. Carrots (for the actual simanim) we eat raw. We don't do leek, beet, or beans. I will NOT have a fish head on my table so we go as unhealthy as we can; DH gets "jelly" fish in Geula and everyone gets the head of one of those on their plate. This year we have bee honey and date honey (silan) for apple dipping, as dates are another siman.

Tech_mom

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 11:13 am
I make savory beets:

Recipe printed from the http://www.recipecenter.com website.
A site developed by EGS SA - www.egs.biz
Category : dinner, fun & easy, picnic, quick & easy, side-dishes, vegetables
Source : Egs

Savory Beets
1 . Saute onion until softened.
2. add T salt 1/8 t ground cloves 16 oz canned beets
3. Add honey, vinegar, salt and clove; cook and stir over medium heat until mixture begins to boil.
4. Add beets;cook until thoroughly heated.

Preparation
2 tbsp Wine vinegar
2 tbsp Honey
1 tbsp butter or margarine
2 tbsp onion
Ingredients for 4 persons

Barbara

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 11:22 am
Marion wrote:
Pomegranate we eat raw. Carrots (for the actual simanim) we eat raw. We don't do leek, beet, or beans. I will NOT have a fish head on my table so we go as unhealthy as we can; DH gets "jelly" fish in Geula and everyone gets the head of one of those on their plate. This year we have bee honey and date honey (silan) for apple dipping, as dates are another siman.

Roasted beets are delicious.

I admit that we also use the jelly fish heads. And I hum a bit of Barnes and Barnes "Fish Heads" until everyone yells at me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTpUVAcvWfU

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 11:25 am
My dh's family has a tradition of making the Moroccan vegetables with couscous dish using many of the simanim cooked in with the vegetables- leeks, squash/pumpkin, carrots, swiss chard- it all goes in there.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 11:47 am
Cook or prepare them as simply as possible. My family largely prefers plain baby carrots to tzimmes, say.

Marion

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 1:08 pm
Barbara wrote:
Marion wrote:

Roasted beets are delicious.

I admit that we also use the jelly fish heads. And I hum a bit of Barnes and Barnes "Fish Heads" until everyone yells at me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTpUVAcvWfU

I love beets...but no one else here eats them.

Liba

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 1:10 pm
My kids love them roasted. They actually checked with me to make sure I was making them. They don't eat them any other way though. Smile

DovDov

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 1:33 pm
The super super lazy way.

I make a bit chicken soup leaving the veggies whole or in big chunks so I can ID them for simanim purposes. Works for Carrots, squash, leek, celery, beets, etc. (Everyone sounds shocked at the beets but the fact is we put beets in our chicken soup every time, not just RH.) The fish head cooks with the gefilte fish (which I usually bake) and the rest is plain.

Amital

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 2:26 pm
We're doing most of ours plain: pomegranate, banana, apples, honey, and dates, and things like swiss chard are just sauteed with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper. Leeks will be leek patties, black eyed peas become lubiya in a light tomato based sauce, and fish head simply baked.

The squash will have brown sugar, though, at the request of my kids. (I might be missing something here, but that's the general idea!)

hadasa

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 2:31 pm
Lubavitchers aren't big on RH simanim, but my MIL OBM retained some of her old Yerushalmi minhagim. She made delicious leek patties toasted in a sandwich maker. Unfortunately I never asked for the recipe.
Nobody likes sweet Tzimmes here, so I make a savory stew of onions and carrots with the chicken. Dessert is fruit salad with pomegranate kernels.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 4:09 pm
Yerushalmim make leek patties? So interesting! I only know Balkan Jews who do!

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 4:24 pm
Interesting, I don't use sugar in any of my simanim. I'm also not a big fan of sweet main course, sweek kugel, sweet salad... With honey or sugar with challah, there's enough sweet stuff.

Leek--cook with parve soup till soft. Beetroot top--first boil for 3-4min, then sautee with minced garlic. Squash/pumpkin--baked butternut squash. Fish--stuffed with gefilte fish mix, double wrap in foil and bake. Apples, dates, pomegranates--as they are.

The only thing you can probably cut is oil in beetroot--you can just steam/boil. Silka is the stalk/leave bits of beetroot, not the roots as I recall. I bake the roots separately and serve as salad.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking