Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
"Machine wash cold, gentle cycle" - help?!

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 5:04 pm
My washing machine doesn't have that choice. We moved recently. In the old place the machine had one dial for temperature and one for delicate/regular/whatever. Here, you only get to press one button. The button for cold is regular cycle, cold water. The button for delicate is gentle cycle, warm water.

Help! I don't want to destroy my clothes!

Hand washing is not an option. Maybe I'm just not geshikt, but when I hand wash it never comes out quite right somehow. Plus, there's enough clothes at stake that I just want to dump them all in a machine and forget it until it's done.

imasinger

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 7:59 pm
It might depend on the dyes in the clothing. If it's dark, you might want to use the regular cold water cycle, and wash it with Woolite or the equivalent (ordinary dish soap not for the dishwasher is the exact same thing for a lot less money). If it's light or seems like it will hold its color, maybe try the warm water gentle cycle.

You could always experiment on clothing that you don't care about as much and see what works better.

You could also contact (online or by phone) the manufacturer and ask their help line which would be better.

ddsw

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 8:21 pm
I wash all my delicates (ie kids clothes) with warm water except pants. otherwise I dont feel like they get clean with only cold water

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 9:48 pm
I'd also go warm and gentle. If they aren't getting clean, can you add hot water to the machine ?

Laughing Bag!

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 9:53 pm
I wash in cold water only and I put my delicates into mesh bags in regular cycle Smile

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 11:46 pm
I just used cold this time. Hope it all came out ok, haven't had a chance to really assess, it's been a busy night. Laughing Bag, I tried putting some small baby items in a mesh bag tonight and I think they didn't come out so clean. Not sure if it's because of the bag or not.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry