Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Any Speech Therapists out there? Expert in 2 languages issue

mommygirl

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 7:59 am
I have a DS that went to a hebrew speaking gan last year at age 2. He picked up bits and pieces of Hebrew but the gannet felt at the end of the year he should go for speech therapy as he didn't pick it up so well and has big holes in vocab.

I have two options for gan this year. Hebrew gan or English. I prefer the English gan as a gan. If however the language issue will just get worse by sending to English I can send him to the Hebrew.

What should I do? What issues do I need to know about?

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 8:14 am
Where do you live? I mean, I can assume you live in Israel, but it's not a given.

sped

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 9:16 am
Assuming you are in Israel, are you planning on staying long term? If so, then I would STRONGLY recommend continuing in Hebrew. In fact, starting him off in Hebrew was probably the best thing you did for him. I work with many kids from bilingual homes, and the recommendation is to have the child in Hebrew from as young as possible, especially if there is any possibility of a language issue. Since his language of learning will be Hebrew, it is important that his Hebrew be as strong as possible.

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 10:06 am
I'm not a speech therapist, but my twins both went to speech therapy and were late talkers / English at home. I suggest you leave him in Hebrew gan. You can be makpid to speak English at home if you want, but he needs to learn Hebrew if he is going to be staying in EY. Also, any speech therapy he will get will be in Hebrew, so it makes sense to have him in a Hebrew speaking environment.

mommygirl

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 4:39 pm
thanks so much for the replies. appreciate all the responses Very Happy

invisible

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 4:57 pm
Was the ganenet comparing his skills to other bilingual kids or just to the average 2 year old? My two year is also bilingual and everything I read said that bilingual boys are the latest talkers...and eventually are just as fluent in both languages.

Anyway I don't know the details so its possible there is actually an issue but I wouldn't get all worked up just yet -- ask the speech therapist advice.

Ariellush

Post Sun, Oct 09 2011, 8:38 am
invisible wrote:
Was the ganenet comparing his skills to other bilingual kids or just to the average 2 year old? My two year is also bilingual and everything I read said that bilingual boys are the latest talkers...and eventually are just as fluent in both languages.

Anyway I don't know the details so its possible there is actually an issue but I wouldn't get all worked up just yet -- ask the speech therapist advice.

Sometimes gananot forget that some children don't speak Hebrew at home, comparing such a child with an average, Hebrew speaking Israeli child. Talk to the ganenet again and repeat yourself if it is necessary, until she gets that fact about your son.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers