Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Deli Roll-Phyllo Dough

bigmomma

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 6:19 pm
I don't like the puff pastry doughs, too heavy, too fattening. Anyone ever tried to make deli roll using Phyllo Dough????

shoemaker

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 6:25 pm
the dough is so thin its very hard to work with it. good luck.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 6:25 pm
Sure you can. You need to brush oil between at least every other layer of phyllo dough through.
It's hard to work with once totally defrosted. And it defrosts really fast. Use only what you need, and keep the rest frozen.

If you prefer to make your own pastry dough recipe with oil, that's fairly simple to prepare, I can post for you.

lollygirl

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 8:02 pm
You can even do individual deli rolls using won ton or egg roll wrappers.

bigmomma

Post Fri, Oct 28 2011, 4:20 am
ra-mom will spraying pam work instead of oil? I read I can also alternatively brush with eggs. Yes, I would love your recipe using oil. Thanks!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Oct 28 2011, 4:54 am
it's gross with egg roll wrappers.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 28 2011, 12:10 pm
bigmomma wrote:
ra-mom will spraying pam work instead of oil? I read I can also alternatively brush with eggs. Yes, I would love your recipe using oil. Thanks!
I wouldn't know about the Pam, but you can definately try it. The only thing that would worry me is the chemicals- you'd be using a lot more spray than just lightly greasing a pan for cake.

Here's the recipe.

Pastry Dough

• 2 cups flour
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/2 teaspoon sugar
• 1/2 cup canola oil or extra light olive oil
• 1/3 cup cold Rice Dream or other Pareve milk
• 1 teaspoon vinegar

Use a spoon to measure out flour carefully, then gently level off the flour, being careful not to pack it down. Pour into a mixing bowl. Add the salt and sugar, and stir together with a fork.
Be just as careful with the amounts when measuring out the rest of the ingredients.

Drizzle the oil in; stir and "cut" with a fork until there are small clumps of varying size, and no more loose flour. The largest clumps should be no bigger than lima bean size.
Distribute the cold water evenly over the mixture, then sprinkle with the vinegar. Stir and mash with the fork just until it all balls together and the dough holds together nicely.
Divide the dough in half. Wrap each in wax paper and allow dough to rest for 20 minutes.

Make the countertop a bit damp and spread a piece of wax paper or parchment paper on it - about 24 inches long, making sure that the paper does not slide out of place. Place one portion of dough on the paper. Place a second piece of paper of equal size on top of the dough.
Roll out the dough with a rolling pin - from the center out, in all directions, until dough is just a drop thinner than 1/8-inch thick. Use a confectionary ruler (or any plastic ruler bought at a stationary or dollar store for kitchen use) to measure and cut the dough to desired size/s.
Repeat with second half of dough.

If you have leftover dough, use right away or discard, as pastry dough made with oil separates and does not store well in the fridge or freezer.

Yield: 17 oz. pastry dough

lollygirl

Post Fri, Oct 28 2011, 12:25 pm
ra_mom, can you PLEASE write a cookbook? I'd like the first, signed copy LOL

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 28 2011, 12:44 pm
lollygirl wrote:
ra_mom, can you PLEASE write a cookbook? I'd like the first, signed copy LOL
Thanks lollygirl! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics