Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Until when to use dreft?

mommy#1

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 7:33 pm
How old was your DC when you stopped using dreft for his clothes? I'm just curious if I'm supposed to still be using it. I just bought a new bottle, so I will definitely use it up, but do you use it until 1 year, 2...? Tia

chatouli

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 7:34 pm
I only used it until 3 months, largely because we visited family and they didn't have. They washed his clothes in regular Tide and he didn't have a reaction, so when we got home we finished the Dreft and that was it.

SingALong

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 8:28 pm
With my first for about a year.

The next ones I did it for shorter, like 6 months, or 3 months, and then I just mushed it with the other clothing cuz I'd rather divide everything according to color with he other kids clothing, it was easier

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 9:08 pm
unless the baby has an allergy, when it starts not cleaning well - like when the baby crawls - is time.

fc8899

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 9:13 pm
I used only one bottle with my ds.
I dont know how long it lasted, but it was only his clothes and very little at a time. so prob a few months old.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 11:48 pm
I never used it at all. The diaper service wasn't using Dreft, you can be sure of that, so I couldn't see any reason for me to use it.

Smiling Wife

Post Fri, Nov 04 2011, 12:00 am
huh?
And why use dreft?
My baby had super sensitive skin, so my Dr advised to change detergent, he suggested DREFT.
I researched all brands that are least harsh and found that ALL FREE and CLEAR is the mildest and best for baby skin.
I called my Dr and asked him why he said use dreft because it is MUCH MORE HARSH AND MUCH MORE LOADED WITH DYE and FRAGRANCE than "ALL free and CLEAR" or "ARM AND HAMMER FREE" ( free of dye and fragrance, get it?)...he siad, OH YEAH those are actually better, plus dreft is so expensive anyway.

Lessons?
1-DREFT is not the best for sensitive skin, it is just well marketed to make you believe it is, they dont even claim they are free of dye and fragrance!
2-ANYTIME you are recommended ANYTHING by a Dr, research it yourself, TRUST me, sister, friend, daughter of a Dr here...

Ok sorry for launching so hard, I am just frustrated at how many of us moms get wrongly led into believing these marketing tricks....

momaleh

Post Fri, Nov 04 2011, 3:36 am
Until I had my second child and realized I could throw her stuff in with all the rest and it was fine.

Simple1

Post Fri, Nov 04 2011, 9:47 am
I never used it, with the exception of some free samples I occasionally got from the hospital package. I do use good quality detergent (Tide or All), which I assume is easier on the skin than the low end detergents.

bigsis144

Post Fri, Nov 04 2011, 9:59 am
Never bothered using it - I figured I'd use my regular stuff (Purex or whatever brand is on sale), and only if DC showed irritation would I switch to something else.

I LOVE having yummy-smelling laundry, so I wouldn't even buy the "fragrance and dye free" version of ANY brand unless I absolutely had to.

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 04 2011, 11:44 am
yep, those Dreft people sure have a great PR thing going!

busymom2000

Post Fri, Nov 04 2011, 1:25 pm
depending how sensetive the child is
my oldest had very sensetive skin, I would wash it with regular detergant & than rewash his undershirts & pj's with dreft until 2 yrs
my second only did it till about 1yr

SplitPea

Post Fri, Nov 04 2011, 1:31 pm
Smiling Wife wrote:
huh?
And why use dreft?
My baby had super sensitive skin, so my Dr advised to change detergent, he suggested DREFT.
I researched all brands that are least harsh and found that ALL FREE and CLEAR is the mildest and best for baby skin.
I called my Dr and asked him why he said use dreft because it is MUCH MORE HARSH AND MUCH MORE LOADED WITH DYE and FRAGRANCE than "ALL free and CLEAR" or "ARM AND HAMMER FREE" ( free of dye and fragrance, get it?)...he siad, OH YEAH those are actually better, plus dreft is so expensive anyway.

Lessons?
1-DREFT is not the best for sensitive skin, it is just well marketed to make you believe it is, they dont even claim they are free of dye and fragrance!
2-ANYTIME you are recommended ANYTHING by a Dr, research it yourself, TRUST me, sister, friend, daughter of a Dr here...

Ok sorry for launching so hard, I am just frustrated at how many of us moms get wrongly led into believing these marketing tricks....

this. DD has VERY VERY sensitive skin (ie can't wear a disposable diaper, can't use ANY Johnson and Johnson product, no normal wipes etc...) We use arm and hammer for sensitive skin. get iat stop and shop on sale and pay literally pennies a load. For her cloth diapers we use Nelleys laundry powder. (that I get a tuesday mornings 50% off.) Dreft has so much junk in it she has a reaction immediately to it! Save your money!

ElTam

Post Fri, Nov 04 2011, 1:39 pm
First child, til the bottle ran out. We use fragrance free/dye free for the whole family, so it works foreveryone's clothes.

I use milder soaps on the kids in the bath until they are about five.

lollygirl

Post Fri, Nov 04 2011, 1:45 pm
Until 15 months. If you're concerned, just use fragrance free/dye free detergent.

spring13

Post Fri, Nov 04 2011, 3:40 pm
I never used it. Our regular detergent is "free and clear", and I've always just thrown DD's clothes in with ours. she's never had a reaction of any sort.

honestly, save your money (and the time/effort to make separate baby clothes washes).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry