Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Would your dr give your DC the flu shot if he has a cold?

mommy#1

Post Tue, Nov 15 2011, 7:59 pm
My DS had a pretty bad cold since Friday. He had a well-checkup appointment at the dr yesterday (Monday). I make my appointments in advance so I could get a certain dr I like, but this time last minute they had to change on me. I got a dr that many people like, so I'm assuming he knows what he's talking about.

Anyway, so yesterday was the appointment. My DS was going to get all the 1-year immunizations and the flu shot. I meant to ask the dr before if he can get all the shots, especially the flu one, because he has a cold. But I forgot to ask. The dr saw that he had a cold anyway. (he said the ears and throat look perfect, it's just the nose...) He warned me that the flu and a different shot can cause low grade fever. So my DS got all the shots. Last night he was so feverish and warm, he couldn't even cry normally, that's how weak he was. This morning I took his temp and it was 101.7. Not too bad, but he was really not feeling well. After Tylenol throughout the day, tonight he had 101.4.

Should he not have had the flu shot? Not that it really matters now, but I'm just curious. My friend said she uses the dr I saw yesterday, and he made her come back for the flu shot because her DS's ear was bothering him...

NaturalMom

Post Tue, Nov 15 2011, 8:47 pm
The CDC states that a moderate illness is fine, which I assume is where your son's cold falls. It's really at the discretion of the parent and doctor. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vp.....m#flu

Did your doctor ever tell you to NOT give your child Tylenol after a vaccine? It may dampen the immune response that is necessary to build up immunity to the virus. It would be terrible if your poor DS went through all that only to come out with no immunity to the flu... http://children.webmd.com/vacc.....cines
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics