Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Help! dangerous climber!

SingALong

Post Mon, Nov 21 2011, 3:22 pm
my baby, 9 months old, is climbing on everything! and since she'll grab something unstable sometimes, as she goes up, it falls, she falls, and she hurts herself. I try keeping most things off the floor where she can't reach but like today she managed to climb the garbage can and it tipped over. and once she made it to the laundry hamper, and I grabbe dher quickly before she and the hamper fell. oh yeah and when I sit on the floor with her she's all over me climbing grabbing, etc. I get dressed on my bed otherwise its a tug of war.

is this typical for this age, and how can I
a) protect her from hurting herself when she climbs
b) encourage her to play with other toys on the floor while I'm next to her, without her trying to climb on me?

jelly belly

Post Mon, Nov 21 2011, 3:28 pm
Yup, perfectly normal and a sign of development! At that age, you really just need to be on top of her ALL the time. That, or really make a safe environment. Make sure all furniture is bracketed to the wall- bookcases, high dressers, etc. It's easier if you make one room a "safe room" and spend lots of time there so its not a constant struggle. When you have to work in the kitchen, set her up with some toys or pots in the high chair or on the floor if she will be busy enough, so you don't have to stress about grabbing her off the garbage can while you're cleaning chickens. Enjoy your little explorer Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics