Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Bean combination for cholent

cytlgr

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 10:39 pm
Ever since reading the article in Mishpacha about Getty on the Hill that kidney beans are so bad for chulent, we've been experimenting with different beans to make a perfect cholent. I happen not to like the chick peas or lima beans in the chulent but my husband does. Still, I'd like to keep that out of the chulent. So what beans do you use for your chulent? Recently I've used a combination of navy, great northern and pinto beans. The chulent is coming out kinda pale (light colored, as opposed to a more reddish/brownish look) and not that great so wondering what else there might be out there that would work better.

Any ideas?

shirachadasha

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 10:46 pm
lentils

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 11:49 pm
Why did whoever it was claim that kidney beans are n/g for cholent? They're a classic ingredient.

I use whatever I have around. Not chic p's--tried once, response was not good. My typical mix is lentils, barley, and as many of the following as I have: pinto, red kidney, black turtle, black-eyed peas, navy, great northern, lima, baby lima, small red, cranberry beans. Have included soybeans, fava beans. During pre-Pesach pantry clearance campaigns I have also thrown in rice, bulgur or any other whole grain I happened to have lying around.

That's the beauty of cholent. Like the Jewish people, it adapts itself to infinitely variable local conditions, yet it always retains its identity, and it's always good.

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 11:51 pm
You can darken your cholent with coffee or darker beans than the ones you're using. Small reds and black turtles will do.

tikva18

Post Thu, Nov 24 2011, 12:01 am
I add paprika; that colors the cholent.

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Nov 24 2011, 12:28 am
I use barley and pea beans (navy beans). No gas issues and it's creamy and soft. For color, we add paprika (and I add chili powder, black pepper, a dried chili and other spices).

Soul on fire

Post Thu, Nov 24 2011, 1:26 am
I use the bag of dry 16 bean mix. IMO it gives the best flavor.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus