Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
What age do you get your son a Lulav and Esrog?

rainbow baby

Post Wed, Oct 04 2006, 4:06 pm
Would you get a 6 year old his own? What do people do out there?

Nomad

Post Wed, Oct 04 2006, 4:08 pm
they have toy ones if he wants one
...I think that boys get their own at bar mitzvah

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Oct 04 2006, 4:10 pm
My son got his own before Bar MItzvah, but not a LOT before. It wasn't six years old, either....

shalhevet

Post Wed, Oct 04 2006, 4:16 pm
My 4.5 year old had his own one last year already.

The halacha is that when they know how to do the 'na'anuim' you have to get them one. I think maybe 6-7. It's din chinuch like any other mitzva.

But they are sooo excited to have their own and do the hoshanos with their abba. You can buy them a set that's just kosher and not mehudar.

shira

Post Wed, Oct 04 2006, 4:20 pm
This year my husband is getting my 4 year old a posul one and next year, when he'll be a bar chinuch (so wierd to think of my little munchkin- my bechor- as a bar anything!) he'll get a kosher one. 3 boys.........this is gunna get expensive fast! (BORUCH HASHEM)

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Oct 04 2006, 4:24 pm
My boys get a kosher, basic set from the age of 3. Yes its expensive, but the pride and joy the kids have in performing the mitzva is worth it, in my opinion.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Oct 04 2006, 9:37 pm
Never though about it. my 6 year old hasn't asked which means none of his friends have one either!

ChavieK

Post Wed, Oct 04 2006, 10:00 pm
We got for our boys when they sat in shul & davened Rosh Hashana & Yom Kippur.

Motek

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 12:13 pm
mummyof6 wrote:
The halacha is that when they know how to do the 'na'anuim' you have to get them one. I think maybe 6-7. It's din chinuch like any other mitzva.

Have to get them one?! No way! They can shake anybody's set of minim! What do you think happened for countless generations? Often, only the town rav had minim and everybody said the bracha on them!

I am in favor of getting a child his own set because he will be so excited and happy with it. It doesn't have to be mehudar, just kosher.

JMto2

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 12:15 pm
I do not have boys but I have a neighbor who does and he gets his boy who is 8 an esrog that is kosher but very spotted people do not want such an esrog so he gets it for really cheap. You might want to ask the dealers if they have any.

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 12:26 pm
shira wrote:
This year my husband is getting my 4 year old a posul one

My boys make a brocha on their lulav and esrog. Could even little kids make a brocha if the lulav and esrog is posul?

shalhevet

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 12:27 pm
Motek wrote:
mummyof6 wrote:

Have to get them one?! No way! They can shake anybody's set of minim!

There is also din chinuch to take part in the hoshanos in shul, and you can only do that with your own set.

Quote:

What do you think happened for countless generations? Often, only the town rav had minim and everybody said the bracha on them!

Of course, because in Europe of say 100 years ago, buying arba minim was either impossible or prohibitively expensive. So it was a bdieved situation. Why do you think everyone today buys their own if it is just the same to borrow the rav's?

Quote:

I am in favor of getting a child his own set because he will be so excited and happy with it. It doesn't have to be mehudar, just kosher.

I agree 100%.

rainbow baby

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 1:38 pm
We#ve decided to get the 4 and 6 year old one each.

drrivky

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 1:44 pm
we got a very inexpensive set for my almost 3 son and he is so excited waiting for sukkahs it's so nice... wish I was as anxious to do a mitzvah!

my brothers always had a basic set - they used for nanuim - but made a bracha on my fathers mehudar set.

stem

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 2:43 pm
shira, even for someone under chinuch, I learned you're not allowed to purposely teach him a mitzva the wrong way. It's like letting him light menora with a non-kosher menora. If he's already doing it, then it has to be done right.

Motek

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 2:56 pm
mummyof6 wrote:
So it was a bdieved situation.

You're right. In Europe they were meikel because they were poor or it was unavailable and they were not mekayem the mitzva of na'anuim in Halel. According to the halacha we need to be machmir to follow the psak of the Tur, Rambam, S.Aruch, Magen Avrohom and all the Acharonim to purchase a set of minim for every katan (from age 6-7).

Quote:
Why do you think everyone today buys their own if it is just the same to borrow the rav's?

Pain in the neck, want my own, rav says buy your own ...

lagirl

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 11:23 pm
We get them a Chinuch set when they first ask for one. It is a somewhat less expensive. Of course each boy has asked for it at a younger age...

hila

Post Fri, Oct 06 2006, 1:29 am
we use pasul ones up to the age of about 5, usually with a lemon as an etrog.
In any case when yomtov falls on shabbat the younger kids do not get to walk round shul with their lulav anyway, unless they actually get up for morning minyan during Chol Hamoed.

Once my sons knew how to shake and went to minyan with the men, tehn they get a kosher one. After barmitzva - mehudar.

It does get expensive. Especially as we always get an extra to give to someone who cant afford one (and that has to be mehudar too acc to the laws of tsedaka)

Now if my etrog tree would actually give fruit - then it would save a fortune.
We got hundreds of lemons on the lemon tree and not even one etrog. Smile
Anyone want lemons ?

Have a chag sameach
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics