Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Grandparent's yartzheit

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 12:37 pm
What would be an appropriate way to commemorate the yartzheit of a grandparent? Are we mechuyav to do anything? Is there any nice idea taht someone can recommend?

THanks!

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 8:12 pm
Have a siyum.
A small kiddush in shul on the morning of.
say tehillim liluy nishmat
Yartzeit seuda.

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 11:17 pm
Thank you Mommy3.5. I was actually thinking of something on a much smaller scale - just for me to do. The tehillim is along those lines.

Has anyone heard of lighting a yartzheit candle for a grandparent?
Is there any specific tehillim or tefillos that can/should be said?

Marion

Post Fri, Dec 09 2011, 1:42 am
You can use the tehillim in 119 (118?) that spell out the name. You can say a generic El Malei Rachamim. You can light a candle. (If you think any of these will offend your living parent, ask first. I know mine are fine with it.)

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Dec 09 2011, 2:17 am
Marion wrote:
You can use the tehillim in 119 (118?) that spell out the name. You can say a generic El Malei Rachamim. You can light a candle. (If you think any of these will offend your living parent, ask first. I know mine are fine with it.)
This. I asked my father, who lost both parents and I wanted to do something as well, but he felt very weird with me lighting a candle for them because he is still here, so if this is a thought, just ask them first.

An idea to do, I do this, is to go to their graves. My grandparents are both buried about 30 minutes from my home and a plane ride away for my father, so I try to go on or near their yartzhiets to have something done for them.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Dec 09 2011, 7:15 am
It is quite common to light a candle for a grandparent on their yahrtzeit (makes no differents if your parents are living -- though it is more important if they're not as they won't be doing so) -- even for other relatives as well especially if no one else is doing I.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics