Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Help with challah recipe in kitchen aid

LO

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 2:15 pm
Hi all,
Hoping you can help me. I've been making challah by hand, but I know I don't knead enough and it comes out a bit rough...I decided to try the kitchenaid (I have the 5 qt, I think), but the recipe I had came out very heavy....
Does anyone have any recipes and tips for me? I don't necessarily need a 5 lb recipe, I don't mind just making the recipe twice. I just want a recipe that WAS made successfully in a kitchenaid, and any tips (order of ingredients, etc) for making it come out good.
Thanks everyone!

kb

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 2:24 pm
I make my challah in a kitchen aid - but I do 2 1/2 pounds 2x's.

Mix up the wet ingredients (oil, water, eggs) then add yeast (dissolved in the rest of the water. Then add sugar, then salt, and flour last.

If you need me to, I can post the recipe, but I don't know why your recipe that you're used to shouldn't work.

mha3484

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 2:38 pm
Maybe we have the same kitchenaide. Mine says it can handle 9 cups of flour. Where can I find a recipe for that amount or less?

TzipG

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 2:41 pm
my kitchen aid recipe comes out great and fluffy. I also have a 5 qt. I don't measure my flour exactly - sometimes it needs more, sometimes less, but it is about 9-10 cups of flour. also I use instant yeast, so I don't let it sit in the warm water first. if you use yeast cubes, then just let them dissolve in the warm water with a bit of sugar for 5 minutes.

put in bowl 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour (I use white whole wheat), 2 tsp salt, yeast (I use half a bag Israeli instant yeast) and mix a few seconds. I start out mixing with the flat beater and switch to the dough hook later. make a well in the center (push down in the middle to make a depression) and pour in 1.5 C water, 2 eggs, 1/2 C oil. Mix well until everything is incorporated. I switch to the dough hook at this point. While the motor is running on low speed, start adding in flour 1 C at a time (letting the flour be absorbed with each cupful) until the dough is smooth but just a tiny bit sticky. (Usually comes to about 6-7 C of flour). Oil the dough and let it rise. Punch down, shape, egg the top, let it rise again. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes (I make medium size challas and like them pale - not too dark. adjust the baking time depending on the size and darkness you like).

enjoy!

peppermint

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 4:04 pm
there is a recipe in the purple spice and spirit cookbook called Kitchaid Challah

LO

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 4:45 pm
The purple cookbook Kitchen Aid challah is the one that I tried, and it didn't really come out that nice...

If someone can post their recipe (regular white flour) - either a small one, or with directions for splitting, that would be great!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads