Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
What can I do with leftover mashed potatoes?

SV

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 11:42 am
We are BH getting dinners now since I just had a baby. Two days ago someone brought over a main with TONS of mashed potatoes as a side. I've been eating it for lunch and trying to feed the kids but there are still leftovers. Can I freeze it? Can I make somethng (EASY) with them to "recycle" them before they go bad?

TIA!

Last edited by SV on Thu, Jun 10 2010, 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 11:44 am
latkes. stuffing.

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 11:45 am
Fry mashed potato patties in a little oil - yummy latkes!

You can use them as stuffing for blintzes; buy the frozen puff pasty squares.

skinny

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 11:50 am
doughless knish,very easy

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 11:53 am
Mashed potato kugel is yummy - but not sure if that's different enough to interest your kids.

Soul on fire

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 11:57 am
yes I agree with the fried mashed potatoes...they are great with eggs for breakfast...also if you are feeling up to a little cooking you could do a shepherd's pie...seasoned, browned ground beef, veggies then the mashed potatoes on top and cooked in the oven till the potatoes are brown a little crispy on top.

SV

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 12:42 pm
skinny wrote:
doughless knish,very easy

How do you make it?

FrumMamaPA wrote:
yes I agree with the fried mashed potatoes...they are great with eggs for breakfast...also if you are feeling up to a little cooking you could do a shepherd's pie...seasoned, browned ground beef, veggies then the mashed potatoes on top and cooked in the oven till the potatoes are brown a little crispy on top.

That was my first thought but I don't have ground meat in the house and plus since we are getting dinners I don't want to have another thing lying around that I would need to get rid of...

momaholic

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 12:53 pm
potato knishes: buy flaky dough and put the potatoes in it. fold it in a triangle and put egg and sesame seeds on top and bake till golden.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 1:03 pm
After you do something with it, freeze it instead of eating it right away.

Rosemarie

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 4:57 pm
Wow! I am having the same "problem" and these ideas are great!
Along the same lines, can veggy soup with potato chunks be frozen? I have tons extra (also receiving supper now after my baby)

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 5:08 pm
Do you think she made it fresh? Now it's a few days even older. Either freeZe them or toss them.

Mamish Mama

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 5:12 pm
chicken pot pie topped with mashed potatoes the'll get nice and crispy while cooking... yum

also potato dumplings, my father makes the best!

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Jun 11 2010, 8:18 am
shephard's pie or cottage pie. Sautee chopped onions, carrots, (or add more vegetables like courgettes or celery or peas). Brown lamb or beef mince, season and put in an oven-proof casserole. Top with mashed potato and bake in a fast oven till the top turns golden brown. You can make a whole meal with a nice salad.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 11 2010, 3:46 pm
I don't know if you froze the mashed potatoes yet, but I found a doughless potato knish recipe for you.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....ishes

craisin

Post Fri, Jun 11 2010, 4:55 pm
put It flat into a disposable baking pan, and pour some cornflake crumbs onto it. u can just toss it into the oven to rewarm tom.

chizuk

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 12:55 pm
add fried mushrooms, put in puff pastry, instant potatoe knish yum
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes