Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
ROLLED pickled brisket - with strings - roast or boil??

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 10:14 am
I have a brisket that is pickled, rolled, and packed in string. Normally cuts of meat with string have to be roasted, not boiled - am I right?

I need to know ASAP so I can cook it for Shabbat! Its for my MIL so it has to be good Wink

THANK YOU !

yaelinIN

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 10:26 am
Is it really pickled as in in a salty liquid with the pickling spices? If so, boil it in the string so it holds its shape or cut it loose to be flat, but do not roast it!

See this article for why you boil it.

Please save me a piece!

ricky ticky

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 10:30 am
if it's pickled then definitely boil it - a few times to take out all that salt as the pickling gives it a very salty flavor

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 10:51 am
As the above posters said, boil it (changing water at least once after first boil) until cooked. Then if you want, cool it, slice it and add a glaze/sauce.

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 2:42 pm
It says pickled but I don't see any peppercorns or bay leaves, it just came vacum packed.. I guess I will just boil it and hope for the best. I'll try a sauce from another thread unless anyone has a reccomendation..?

yaelinIN

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 2:46 pm
smell it (the roast that is!) or the vacuum pack. Does it smell meaty (you know, that slightly iron-y tang) or pickled (salty and lightly spicy from all the spices)? Feel the meat's surface; is it more slimy than usual -- that means it is pickled.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 3:33 pm
pinkbubbles wrote:
It says pickled but I don't see any peppercorns or bay leaves, it just came vacum packed.. I guess I will just boil it and hope for the best. I'll try a sauce from another thread unless anyone has a reccomendation..?

The pickled meat I get (usually Alle/Meal Mart) doesn't have peppercorns or bay leaves -- just like yours it is just vacuum packed.

ricky ticky

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 4:26 pm
pinkbubbles wrote:

I personally wouldnt add a sauce, the pickling is enough of a flavor but to each there own
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics