Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Can I send DS to the babysitter...

sped

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 8:44 pm
with tempurature of 100 tonight? He has a cough and a bit of a runny nose. Yesterday afternoon his tempurature ran from under 100 to 100.2. I gave him Tylenol and then Nurofen at around 8:00 pm.. Now (around 3:30), he has 100. Overall, though, his mood seems fine, though he would like me to take him out of bed! What do I do tomorrow??

chatouli

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 9:15 pm
I wouldn't do it, personally. I'd keep him home until his fever was gone for 24 hours. But I know my DS runs low temperature-wise (normal temp is around 97.6) so for him 100 is a big deal. Refuah shleimah!

joy613

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 9:19 pm
First of all I just have to say that it is so sad when little kids are under the weather and they can't say what's wrong with them. I always feel so bad.

Now to answer you- Most (all?) babysitters I've used said not to send the child if he had fever the night before. Does yours have such a policy?
If not, why don't you wait to see how he his in the morning.
Actually, if you gave him tylenol/nurofen again at 3:30, then he might still be fine in the early morning from that, but it can wear off while he's at the babysitter. Not a good idea.
If you didn't give him at 3:30 (since you said he seems to be acting fine anyways), then wait to see how he is in the morning. If his fever is gone, that's a good sign and it was probably a 1 day virus. And I would only send him if he seems to be really acting himself and with no fever at all.

But if he has even a little fever in the morning, I wouldn't send him. Is it terrible for you to take off a day of work?
Refuah sheleima to him!

sped

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 11:49 pm
Is 100 considered fever in a 20 month old?
Actually, it is really hard for me to stay home, and DH can't at all.
I have only 2 sick days (including kids') and already used one...
I have people who come to me without appointments, but expect me to be there. I do parent training in a clinic in a low-income neighborhood and it is open for mothers to show up + some are referred to me. My supervisor/advisor is supposed to be coming in and we invited specific parents to (hopefully) come in....

EmesOrNT

Post Tue, Jan 03 2012, 12:40 am
My mom babysits, and it upsets her so much when parents send sick kids! She makes it very clear that it's unacceptable, but the parents lie and say theres nothing wrong. Then, after they leave, my mom has to deal with a sick kid, and try to keep that kid away from the other kids….

A few mothers will say after "Oh he had a fever last night but it was low and he was fine in the morning and I gave him tylenol before he came and I really had no choice and I didn't know it would make such a difference…."

After one mother brought a sick kid, 3 other kids in my moms group got sick. All those mothers had seen the sick kid and they knew who had caused it.

One mother showed up with a visibly sick kid, and she told my mother - nah the kid is fine. The kid was NOT fine, and my mother asked her to leave.

It is not fair to the babysitter, the other kids, and to your own kid to bring him to the babysitter sick.

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Jan 03 2012, 12:55 am
I agree. If he had a fever at 3am (and yes, 100 is a fever), then you can't send him today. If it's an official place, it's against the contract you signed and against misrad habriut regulations.

Why do you only have 2 sick days? By law you are entitled to many more.

I have a friend who has kids who tend to get sick a lot. She has a backup babysitter. Yes, it's expensive, but if she can't miss that much workt hat's what she needs to do.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics