Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Self-feeding- intent on stuffing his face

morah

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 10:41 am
My 9 month old has been self feeding for a few weeks now, and now he really has the hang of it. However, he doesn't know how much is too much and keeps putting too much in his little mouth at once. I don't want to discourage self-feeding (especially as he's really adept at it and enjoying it), but of course I want him to stay safe. I do keep food on his tray to a minimum- say 3 pieces of whatever, and when he finishes, he gets another 3. However, he is not happy with this arrangement. He knows I have more and keeps trying to reach for it while his mouth is still full- or actually stick his open mouth in my hand to get more. I need a little more control here, but I am wary of getting too controlling with food. I come from a family with food issues including eating disorders.

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 12:40 pm
Does it help to keep the backup supply out of sight?

I wouldn't worry that much about control issues. He is a baby, he still needs to learn how to eat. You aren't controlling, you're teaching/guiding. The kind of things that lead to food control issues are: really depriving the kid of food (you're not depriving him, you'll give it to him as soon as he finishes what's in his mouth), forcing the kid to eat when/what he doesn't want to, and making it an emotional/love issue ("Eat it up because mommy loves you." "Good boy for eating/not eating this or that." Giving/withholding food as reward/punishment, etc)

He's a baby. IY"H he'll get it eventually if you consistently give him the next piece after he swallows the first.

morah

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 12:43 pm
Thanks for reassuring me about the food issues. I have read though that it's good to let babies play with their food and make a mess. In any event, if the food goes out of sight, he cries.

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 10:28 pm
Yes playing with food and making messes is a great experience. Gagging yourself on too many pieces maybe not so much... When DD sticks her hands into the oatmeal bowl and smushes it around on her tray, that's playing and messing. But when she tries to shove half a banana down her throat at once, I give her less. I definitely have the "eyes bigger than mouth" problem and I don't have all the solutions - but I don't think it's unhealthy to let the baby whine occasionally, it's how they learn to let you lead sometimes. As long as you're not constantly restricting, it shouldn't cramp their style.

supermama2

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 10:53 pm
My second son would eat like that. He looked like a little chipmunk! He was a bit chunky in size too but now he's so skinny that it looks strange to me though apparently normal for some boys ( he's like my DH was ). This son doesn't eat a lot now as he's become a tad picky but he'll eat 3 plates of tuna noodle casserole (he's 8 ) Rolling Eyes LOL

It's good that you don't fill his plate w/ food so he doesn't choke on it. Would it work to give him 3 pieces of whatever then when he cries for MORE, give him something of a diff. texture like a cracker or something that he perhaps will not want to shove in his mouth w/ the other food.

I was not one to give a few pieces at a time b/c neither of us had the patience but I would always have the baby by me talking to him while I do things in the same room. The baby got full, my nerves were in tact and I never had a baby eat until he got sick Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics