Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
DD has lice and nits - any tips?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 1:46 pm
My DD came home from school yesterday with a head FULL of lice and nits. I celaned her out 4 times yesterday, and still found many, many nits this morning. Any ideas or tips.....

Simple1

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 1:59 pm
How did you clean her out? Putting Pantene conditioner on the hair, and then combing it out thoroughly, especially at the scalp is supposed to help. You can do small sections at a time and wipe the comb on a paper towel often to remove the nits. You're supposed to do this every few days. And don't forget to wash the linen.

You're supposed to use a good quality comb, I got mine locally. Not sure if this is the same quality but it looks something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Terminat.....IBPV8

Good luck, it's not easy.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 2:06 pm
OP Here - I used RID, and then combed her with pantene. Then I washed and blow dried her hair, and combed again...then combed again....this morning she still had nits. I also washed all the linen, towels, her shirts and sweaters, etc....'

Help - she still has them!!!

Ima'la

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 2:18 pm
If you used RID, then anything you're finding at this point is probably dead. Keep combing regularly (after slathering the hair with thick conditioner, like Pantene). You should be seeing fewer and fewer, and certainly no live lice. Keep combing every day or two until you find nothing.

Pineapple

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 2:19 pm
Leave the conditioner in her hair for 20 min.
Get the ace 2000 comb

amother

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 2:41 pm
When should I stop finding nits in her hair with the comb? When can she go back to school?

luvinlife

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 2:49 pm
Use a lot of Conditioner and use the comb when the hair is wet. Does not work well when it is dry. Use a clip and do tiny sections at a time. Brush one tiny section at a time a few times and check carefully before you pin it up and go to the next section that there is no nits. Repeat this for the next week at least once a day so you can be sure it is gone. Give your child a lollipop or something to keep her sitting. It takes a lot of effort on your part but it will be over in a week if you take it seriously. G'luck and I'm sure she can go to school if your pretty sure there all gone.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 2:53 pm
If I find a few each day - then I guess that means that they are not all gone. I was told to comb her for 2 weeks, cause I may find stray ones ...does that mean that she needs to stay home for that long?

Liebs

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 2:59 pm
I heard margarine really helps. Not sure how to go about it. And I heard very hard to get out after.
If you comb and comb with ASSY2000 (if your daughter lets for so long) then you should be able to get totally rid of it. you must do it over and over and over. combe every nite for a while. If you live in Israel you can send her to school with lice! and I heard if you shpritz viniger in hair keeps lice away.
good luck. just finished with son (short haircut makes life easier).

chatouli

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 4:15 pm
My mom is a schoolteacher and got lice from her students last week. She saturated her hair and scalp in olive oil and wrapped it in a towel for two hours then washed it with shampoo and rinsed it with half white vinegar and half water. Then she combed it out with a very fine tooth comb. She repeated the same regimen the following day and they were gone (but I assume she smelled like a salad Smile).

The reasons why this works are because the olive oil dissolves the exoskeletons of the bugs themselves if left on the hair and especially the scalp long enough. Then you wash it out thoroughly. The vinegar loosens the glue that the lice use to attach their eggs to the hair itself. Then when you comb your DD's hair out, the glue will be loosened and you can brush out the eggs as well as the nits and the bugs. Be careful the vinegar doesn't get in DD's eyes, it burns.

I assume you already washed out DD's bedclothes, threw out her hairbrush and comb, and washed her coat, scarf, hat, etc. You need to put all these things in the dryer on high for 40 minutes. That will kill anything that is on them.

I would also say once the situation is resolved, use a conditioner on her hair that has a scent the lice dislike, e.g. rosemary, lavender, and/or tea tree. I bought the California Baby lavender/tea tree oil conditioner and have been using it since I saw my mom last.

Yes, I am paranoid about getting them Smile can you tell? I did a TON of research. Especially because I am pregnant and can't use lice shampoo.

veganesther

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 6:24 am
Olive oil. On Dry hair for 24 hours. wrap hair /head in plasic and coner w/ shower cap. repeat 9 days later and then 15 after that. Wash everything that is washable. lice needs warmth and human blood but can live 48 hours w/o either.. so you can bag items for a week if they can't be washed. treat whole family all on the same day. Good luck.
Do not use any pesticides like RID it only builds lice resistant.

smilethere

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 6:54 am
I found this fantastic - it is not a pesticide but kills the lice by dehydrating them. It worked first time round, and I never found anything the second check 7 days later.

Full marks solution

This comb is phenomenal. It really works, and has a long guarantee.

Nitty gritty Nit free

After using the killer, I smothered the head in conditioner (in the bath) and then continued to comb out all the dead lice and nits.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics