Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Ipod, is it assur to download songs?

Qrose

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 10:43 pm
DH bought me a chanukah gift, an ipod. Altough I was really excited and looking forward to fill it up, dh anounced that since its genaiva (like stealing) to download cds that you dont own, we will have to download only those that we have, or see where we can pay for cds we dont own (but want it downloaded ) My question is, is it halachacly assur? Why does everyone aroond me have loaded ipods with songs from all over? Is he being extreme? Whats is everyone else doing about this?

groisamomma

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 10:45 pm
I always wondered about it if it's out there for the taking. I personally don't have an ipod and wouldn't know how to do this, but why would someone put music out there and then restrict people from playing it?

bradybunch

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 10:46 pm
I have been told that yes, it is absolutely stealing, and is therefore assur.

So, you stick to the CDs you have, the ones you buy online, etc. If you have an iPod Touch, there are other sources for music like Pandora radio and Spotify (which you can get free on a computer but only by subscription on the mobile devices), but both of those require an internet connection while you are using them.

September June

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 10:54 pm
I don't think your husband is being extreme at all.
I have yet to hear a rav say the downloading a CD you don't own is not stealing.
Everyone else downloading CDs that don't belong to them are doing something 100% illegal and against halacha.

To fill up your ipod:
MostlyMusic.com has some free songs available for download.
Amazon has some Jewish albums on their site that you can buy for $8.99 which is cheaper than the average Jewish music CD (ex. Avraham Fried, Shira Chadasha Boys Choir, Marvelous Middos Machine 1 & 4, Journeys, Dveykus, YBC, MBD, Lipa, 8th day).

EmesOrNT

Post Fri, Jan 20 2012, 12:37 am
I have 3000 songs on my Ipod. All of it is mine or my family's. You collect music over time.

baba

Post Fri, Jan 20 2012, 3:17 am
September June wrote:
I don't think your husband is being extreme at all.
I have yet to hear a rav say the downloading a CD you don't own is not stealing.
Everyone else downloading CDs that don't belong to them are doing something 100% illegal and against halacha.

I actually did hear a rav say this. He learned it from a gemara, I dont remember exactly what it was. Something about finding something in the marketplace and then the real owner comes to claim it, but he cant, since it's the marketplace, it could be anyones. Anyway, the point being, that since these songs are so easily available and out there, the real owners can scream all they want that one cant take them, they're just not being realistic.

I hope someone else with a better memory knows what I'm talking about and can jump in.

Anyway, we asked our rav and he said you can take a song or two, but not a whole album. Like you can copy a few pages from a book, but not the whole book.

black sheep

Post Fri, Jan 20 2012, 3:28 am
so I cannot remember the rav who said this, but I am sure I heard that there is no kinyan on a recording, so therefore it is not something you can buy or sell, or steal. and therefore you are allowed to download any music you want. I wish I could remember the source, but I can tell you that it was legit, so keep looking, there's a source out there allowing pirated music....

Inspired

Post Fri, Jan 20 2012, 3:39 am
Intellectual property in halacha is complicated, not straightforward geneiva to download, but not menchlich behavior either. Consult your own rav. emesornt- taking from your family may be the same as downloading, depending on where the original is.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jan 20 2012, 5:56 am
what about youtube videos put out by singers? is it ok to copy these onto an mp3 player?

Just remember, it's in your interest to pay for music. Without your money musicians will not survive and there will be no music to listen to.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics