Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Help Wanted
Advice-How to negotiate Fridays in corporate America

Ima2Boys

Post Fri, Jan 20 2012, 5:39 am
I have worked for small frum companies for almost 15 years with low pay and minimal benefits. While I love the flexibility of my current job I need to make more to take some of the pressure off my DH. I am looking for an administrative/executive assistant job in manhattan hoping to help my family struggle less. I would love to do temp to perm to find the right fit but can't afford to lose health insurance. Wondering how to land that great job when I can only work til 1 on Friday. Any advice much appreciated!

crl

Post Fri, Jan 20 2012, 9:11 am
I think that as long as you show flexibility, you can find jobs. Make sure that you're able to commit to a certain amount of hours per week, even if it means working longer on some days. (I think part time is 25 hours a week?)

What my husband does is he stays an extra hour every night to make up for the 4 hours lost on Fridays by leaving at one, and as the days get longer, he gradually adds to his Friday so that he's leaving the same amount of time before candlelighting but staying longer at work. I have to make 40 hours a week, but it doesn't matter how many per day, so I just don't take my lunch break as often during the winter.

Also, there are some jobs that are 4 full days a week, but not Friday, or maybe you can work from home on Fridays. Is that a possibility?

sima

Post Fri, Jan 20 2012, 9:49 am
HI I work in such an environment. This has been my experience. some coworkers will always give you funny looks and not understand what the deal is with yom tovim and shabbos. they don't understand the concept of having to start at sundown etc. and the restrictions we have. then on the other hand you have the fact that no body can discriminate against you based on your beliefs. However, put practically you still have to show that you would be an asset over someone else that they could hire without having to go through all these "hassles". in my case I was fortunate, but for yom tov and leaving early on shabbat I have to use all my vacation time. It's like every minute has to be accounted for where I am. So all my vacation time goes for yom tov and early Fridays. oh well. for me staying an hour later every weeknight etc would not work well. I mean as a mother I want to get home at a decent time and as it is I get home at 7pm with the commute and all. So imagine staying another hour to make up for time........... I wouldn't see my kids

good luck with your decision
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics