Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Traveling with 4 children under age 5... alone?!

There4you

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 5:10 pm
So..... I'm iyh traveling to my brother's wedding in new york from israel without my husband. should I take all of my kids? my family hasn't seen them in almost 2 years. My husband would join us for Pesach.

Also, if I decide to take them, am I legally allowed on a plane with so many little kids? How would I manage? Is there a 'rent a nanny' service Smile no joke! any sem girls going home march 19?

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 11:21 pm
To be realistic, I think travelling with 4 under-5s would be logistically challenging, although there is no limitation on the airlines side how many children/infants you can travel with. Seating can be an issue as ideally you should have adults on the aisle end, even the biggest widebodies normally have 5 seats abreast in the middle. How would you manager/supervise mealtimes (I can barely manage my own with all the plastic wraps), and more importantly taking them to the bathrooms. How would you manage carrying if some of them are asleep when you arrive and are getting off the plane? With at least one or two older children, if it was me, 3 is the max I can handle with under-5.

Would be ideal if you can enlist a friend or a family, someone you feel comfortable looking after the children when you pick up luggage/take one of them to the bathroom etc. You did say your DH is joining for Pesach, then can you take 2 and can your DH take 2? What are the ages? If the youngest one is small enough to be carried in a baby carrier that'll make it easier.

BTW, make sure you get DH's consent letter stating he agress you take the children abroad. (You'll need to do the same if you decide to split the kids and if your DH is travelling with them.) I think there's a standard format, usually information about your name, children's name, passport numbers, flight info.

cmommy

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 11:27 pm
Flying alone with 4 kids under the age of 5 sounds like it will be quite a challenge. Maybe you can call around to some seminaries and see if anyone will be flying around that time and enlist in their help. I don't know if travel agents can give out that information, but maybe they can help find someone who is on your flight to give you a hand. I have flown many times with one child by myself. I can't imagine doing it with 4 - I am just thinking about getting through security and on the plane, let alone the flight itself. Good Luck!

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 12:22 am
Sounds like a challenge, yes.

I think if you advertise on Janglo before the date you can probably find someone going with you who can help out. Maximum when you get the the airport hopefully there are seminary girls or maybe a mother traveling with her 12 year old.

Good luck!!

crackers

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 3:19 am
I'm getting nervous about traveling alone with 3 under the age of 6 the youngest will be a month old b'h.
I like the idea of a seminary girl or just any one on the flight who can be there to help out. just make sure to set it up in advance . I once flew alone with 2 kids and was counting on ppl helping with luggage but every one was rushing or to busy, even really nice looking seminary girls.
good luck. even if it is really really hard it'll be worth it in the end (that's what I tell myself Smile )

ray family

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 4:50 am
I would advertise on your local mailing group to see if a/o is traveling at the same time.
also maybe in the sems maybe a girl is willing to help or maybe you can pay s/o?

mummy-bh

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 5:00 am
ray family wrote:
I would advertise on your local mailing group to see if a/o is traveling at the same time.
also maybe in the sems maybe a girl is willing to help or maybe you can pay s/o?
absolutely. I would even say to delay booking your ticket so that when you do find someone, you can coordinate travel time accordingly.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 5:17 am
Airlines, travel agencies, check-in desk staff are not permitted to disclose identity of other passengers. Agree with others OP should really try to arrange extra hands before flying.

chocmom

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 9:34 am
As far as I know, you can't fly with more than one child under the age of 2, if that's relevant.
I have flown with 3 (ages 5 and under) and it was not easy. Not on as long a flight though. People are helpful, but only so far, and you really can't rely on it. I would probably do it again but not with excitement Smile I agree with trying to find a seminary girl to help....

dmum

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 5:35 pm
I have flown alone to Austalia (ie 24 hours) with 3 kids, the oldest was 5 and the youngest not yet 2, so he didn't have a seat....
Legally there has to be one adult per child under 2, simply because for takeoff and landing they need to be strapped in with you.
The flight attendants were SUPER helpful, getting on the plane, off the plane and during the flight. They watched my kids when I took one to the bathroom, carried all my hand luggage on and off while I carried the baby, etc etc. Remember, there is only so far kids can go on a plane, so they can't really get lost during the flight itself...
Also, DH took me as far as he could in the airport on way there, and my parents picked me up, so the only time I had to deal with kids plus luggage was getting it off the conveyor belt on arrival. My 5yr old pushed the stroller while I pushed the luggage trolley.
The 2 older kids were super helpful and cooperative. Baby not so much. But as long as you concentrate on just getting through the trip and don't stress about the mess etc too much, it'll be okay.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers