Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
If you send your baby to a babysitter

lamplighter

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 8:54 pm
What are some things I should ask and look out for when researching a babysitter?
What are red flags?
The first day I take her what should I make sure to tell the babysitter? And what should I take notice of whren I pick her up?

Do I sound like the nervous Mommy that I am? Smile

All advice welcome!

amother

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 9:59 pm
Is the place clean and babyproofed? Does she seem organized? Does she keep contact info etc. together?

Does she ask questions? Want to know about your child? Seem interested in making your child comfortable?

Where will your baby be sleeping? If another child will nap in the same crib, does she change the linen between?

What is her sick child policy?

Warning signs that I have seen are if she complains about other parents/kids to you and how her own children behave (e.g., like normal kids or like wilde chayas and how she deals with it). I ignored both of these in one case because the person was so well known in the community. Let's just say it didn't end well. B"H I have a new wonderful babysitter now.

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 12:04 pm
Ask if she gives the kids attention. For example my babysitter, when I worked, had up to 20 kids on some days/times (with 1 helper) but non of them ever cried for longer than 5 minutes. She was on top of everything, controlled and organized. She knew which bottle belonged to whom and at which time each baby needed to eat. And she knew exactly when my baby ate at the end of the day.

Some have 5 kids and cannot cope!

Make sure she is clean, washes the bottles, washes her hands etc.

See if she has toys for the kids, if the kids are stimulated and entertained or have to stare at her shoes all day.

Ask other mothers if their kids were happy there.

When you come, make sure to tell her your baby's feeding and sleeping schedule, you can write it all on a paper so you don't forget. Tell her how the baby likes to sleep, any special toys/blankets/positions.

Send with a bag that will stay there that will have diapers, wipes, change of clothes, extra burping cloths, a bottle of water (if your baby drinks) and I know some people who stored a extra bottle of expressed milk in the freezer at the babysitter - just in case.
If you are feeding formula make sure to take a container there.
If your baby is on solids, send some jars, special spoons if your baby eats from a certain type.

Make sure to tell the babysitter if your baby has any allergies, things baby is scared of (noise etc), or things you prefer she doesn't have/see (non kosher animals etc).

Relax, she is experienced in these things and you will know if your baby is unhappy.

Your baby will also have days...she might cry but that doesn't mean the babysitter was horrible it means the babysitter is in a bad mood.

And enjoy that huge smile and cuddle you get when you pick your baby up at the end of the day. There is NOTHING in the world like your baby showing how much they missed you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics