Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Have you killed bed bugs using heat?

amother

Post Sat, Feb 04 2012, 11:22 pm
we have bed bugs Crying I havent slept in days. an exterminator is supposed to come monday to spray for them but I heard that the bugs usually return because the eggs arent affected by the chemicals. does anyone have experience using a heat treatment to get rid of them? can you recommend someone? how much did it cost? we live in brooklyn. please help, im desperate!!!!!

Mommy3.5

Post Sat, Feb 04 2012, 11:37 pm
High heat in the dryer works well for clothes and toys. You will not be able to do that to your mattresses and drawers. You need to spray, clean well dry all your stuff in the dryer, and buy the recommended mattress and box spring covers for the beds, as bedbugs can live a year without a food source.

amother

Post Sat, Feb 04 2012, 11:46 pm
Yes. I used Thermarid. They came down the next day. I left the house from 9-5. I did not need to wash anything or empy any closets. It was probably the best way to go. The only drawback - price. I still don't regret it for the peace of mind it gave us though. But taking into consideration that I did not need to replace any mattresses, dry clean anything, throw anything out, really adds into the equation.

Good luck!

amother

Post Sat, Feb 04 2012, 11:48 pm
amother wrote:
Yes. I used Thermarid. They came down the next day. I left the house from 9-5. I did not need to wash anything or empy any closets. It was probably the best way to go. The only drawback - price. I still don't regret it for the peace of mind it gave us though. But taking into consideration that I did not need to replace any mattresses, dry clean anything, throw anything out, really adds into the equation.

Good luck!

how much did it cost? how long have you been bug free for?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 05 2012, 12:01 am
One floor (3 bedrooms, kitchen, dining, small living area) was $2300. This is about 10 months ago.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 6:19 pm
thx, they're coming :sigh:

amother

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 9:45 pm
Good luck! It will pass iy'h.
It's also worth investing in those bedbug mattress protectors.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry