Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby cries all day - time to suppliment?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 6:08 am
My 3.5 month old baby cries for most of the day. Except when she is eating, which she does every 2 hours or sleeping, which she doesn't do much of. At her last check up, she gained 400 grams in a month as opposed to the 600 grams she was "suppose" to. The doctor suggested suppliment feedings with bottles, which I tried and she freaked out and was not interested. Was told that since I am over 40, my milk supply is less than it was when I was a younger mommy. Any ideas or experience?
Thanks.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 7:07 am
I was in basically the exact same situation. Many nursing babies will not start taking bottles happily. You can keep trying one a day- start out by pumping and giving your milk in the bottle, then add one ounce of formula every couple of days until she's used to bottles.

You might be better off working on increasing your milk supply. A crying baby doesn't help. It would help to relax, stay calm, and DRINK A LOT! Keep a water bottle with you at all times, and just keep drinking. THere are also natural teas that increase milk supply. I don't know anything about them, except that they work. (My sister tried it once.)

That said, some kids just cry a lot, and some kids are just petite. My dd who actually agreed to take a bottle a day didn't start growing any quicker afterwards. She's just a small kid, who never read the growth charts. She's growing at her own pace, rather than going according to rules she never heard of.

It also pays to look into relux. If your baby spits up a lot, reflux could be causing discomfort and lack of adequate weight gain. If it is causing problems with weight gain, doctor usully prescribe Zantac.

Otherwise, just try to quiet the baby with swaddling, rocking, singing, baby-wearing...- some babies are just high needs babies.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics