Home

101 uses for leftover challah
1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

September June

Post Posted: Mon, Mar 12 2012, 8:29 pm       Post subject: 101 uses for leftover challah
I almost always have leftover challah each Shabbos and I am looking for ways to repurpose my leftovers.
Any ideas or recipes would be much appreciated!

Here is what I thought of so far:

1. Homemade panko breadcrumbs (process leftover challah in the food processer)
2. French Toast (only works if the leftover challah is whole slices)
3. Stuffing for Chicken/Turkey

Any other ideas?

Henya

Post Posted: Mon, Mar 12 2012, 8:30 pm       Post subject: re: 101 uses for leftover challah
challa kugel

sunshine!

Post Posted: Mon, Mar 12 2012, 8:34 pm       Post subject: re: 101 uses for leftover challah
Sandwich maker with cheese and ketchup

My kids like it!

Optione

Post Posted: Mon, Mar 12 2012, 9:02 pm       Post subject: re: 101 uses for leftover challah
croutons

qtpie

Post Posted: Mon, Mar 12 2012, 9:18 pm       Post subject: re: 101 uses for leftover challah
Theres a recipe around that uses leftover challah to make cinnamon buns. You wet the challah to make it doughy. Don't have the exact recipe. Good luck!

abmom

Post Posted: Mon, Mar 12 2012, 10:39 pm       Post subject: re: 101 uses for leftover challah
Like french toast, but break the challah into bite size pieces.

andrea levy

Post Posted: Mon, Mar 12 2012, 10:42 pm       Post subject: re: 101 uses for leftover challah
challah will not turn into panko. it will be challah bread crumbs.

Tease

Post Posted: Mon, Mar 12 2012, 11:04 pm       Post subject: re: 101 uses for leftover challah
another vote for challah kugel.
its great hot or cold

Tiale

Post Posted: Tue, Mar 13 2012, 3:12 am       Post subject:
Can bread crumbs get moldy? Should I bake it again and let it get really dry before processing it?

Squishy

Post Posted: Tue, Mar 13 2012, 4:39 am       Post subject: re: 101 uses for leftover challah
I dampen the challah and use in tuna patties and meatloaf.

kb

Post Posted: Tue, Mar 13 2012, 4:51 am       Post subject: re: 101 uses for leftover challah
I make them into bread crumbs - toast them first to make them dry, and then blend them. I've gotten compliments on my breaded chicken cutlets - they wanted to know what type of crumbs I use!

invisiblecircus

Post Posted: Tue, Mar 13 2012, 5:31 am       Post subject: re: 101 uses for leftover challah
I also use it for breadcrumbs. I don't toast it first, I just let it get a bit dry then grate it in the food processor. I keep them in a bag in the freezer to prevent them getting mouldy and use as needed.

shoemaker

Post Posted: Tue, Mar 13 2012, 9:03 am       Post subject: re: 101 uses for leftover challah
stuffed chicken.

willow

Post Posted: Tue, Mar 13 2012, 11:27 am       Post subject: re: 101 uses for leftover challah
How do you make good fine bread crumbs without food processor?

Pineapple

Post Posted: Tue, Mar 13 2012, 11:28 am       Post subject:
Willow maybe a blender
Don't put to much in at once

mamaleh

Post Posted: Tue, Mar 13 2012, 12:07 pm       Post subject: re: 101 uses for leftover challah
These are things I've done (or at least considered):
-Breadcrumbs
-french toast (assuming it's pareve)
-Challah kugel (sweet or savory)
-garlic bread
-croutons (seasoned or plain)
-kishka or stuffing
-filler in ground meat mixture (hamburgers, meatballs, meatloaf)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Jewish Mother2

Post Posted: Tue, Mar 13 2012, 12:20 pm       Post subject: re: 101 uses for leftover challah
I'm often left with the 3rd challah and I use it instead of pastry to make a mock strudel - take out the middle and leave yourself with the crust - fill it with a meat mixture or a salmon and vegetable mixture. Wrap in tin foil and bake in the oven.

canadamom

Post Posted: Tue, Mar 13 2012, 12:37 pm       Post subject: Re: re: 101 uses for leftover challah
mamaleh wrote:
-Breadcrumbs
-garlic bread
-kishka or stuffing

can you post your recipe for your savory challah kugel?

mamaleh

Post Posted: Tue, Mar 13 2012, 12:50 pm       Post subject: Re: re: 101 uses for leftover challah
canadamom wrote:
mamaleh wrote:
-Breadcrumbs
-garlic bread
-kishka or stuffing

can you post your recipe for your savory challah kugel?

I don't use real recipes for kugel, in general. When I want savory Challah Kugel I soak the challa in hot water (you can add soup mix if you want or a little dry wine) then I add eggs, oil, sauteed vegetables-onion, celery, carrot, zuchini, (a little) garlic- cut into small pieces, salt, pepper, herbs (whatever kinds you like)and bake until golden brown.
If I remember, I try to add the herbs and S&P to the veggies while they are sauteeing. You can also add pepper-any color(s)- to the veggies (we're just not big pepper people in this house).
Hope this helps- if you have any questions I can try to answer them.

bobeli

Post Posted: Tue, Mar 13 2012, 2:42 pm       Post subject: re: 101 uses for leftover challah
Just to remind you (and not to have a discussion) that according to some opinions whatever you make with challah or bread that was originally hamotzi has a din of hamotzi too! (not sure about bread crumbs)
View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next