Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dear Dr. Imamother: Should I give antibiotics?

c.c.cookie

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 1:44 pm
Why do these things always happen erev Yom Tov, when the doctor is not around???
So here's the question:

My almost-eight-month-old had a bad cough last week, and developed a fever on Friday. On Sunday I took him to the doctor, who said his chest was clear. By Sunday afternoon the fever was down, but he was still coughing. On Tuesday he started wheezing, and developed a fever again. So, on Wednesday we were back by the doctor, who said he does hear some wheezing, but he's not sure it's bronchitis - might just be a virus that causes wheezing. He gave us a prescription for antibiotics, and told us to wait a couple of days and see what happens.

Today he hardly had any fever all day, but he's still wheezing. So fever improving, wheezing not. What am I supposed to make of THAT???

So, all you Imadoctors - would you give antibiotics, or wait some more and see what happens?

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 2:10 pm
call the service if you arent certain

e1234

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 3:19 pm
I have the same thing with a 7 week old.
I went to the dr yesterday and he did a test I think for croup but when I called him today he said there won't be results till next week which is too long.
He told me to bring the baby back to him in the morning and he will decide if we should give antibiotics -- nothing else to do erev pesach - but I will go.
I don't want it to get worse over yom tov and would like to have the antibiotics in the house just in case.

Optione

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 3:38 pm
you can call CVS and ask their pharmacist

chani8

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 3:40 pm
Listen, if you know your child is not allergic to antibiotics, CC, and you are worried, then give them. I've done it before, to get thru a holiday, and just told the doc that I got scared and didn't know what else to do. It's not the end of the world to even take one round of antibiotics for nothing. Not the greatest thing to do, but what else can you do?

OTOH, or for future reference, prevention is the best thing. Whenever I see a child showing signs of excessive mucous, like a very runny nose and at the first signs of coughing, I give mucolite and loratadin syrup or fenistil drops. It's imperative to get that mucous under control. There are also other options, but these two are the safest with the least to no side effects.

justforfun87

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 7:40 pm
He seems to be improving as you said. I would hold off on antibiotics, let the immune system fight this one out, it will be better in the long run. Pediatricians are over prescribing antibiotics which can cause future antibiotic resistance, really bad when you actually need them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics