Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Matza pizza on the stove-possible?-how?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 6:31 pm
title says it all
TIA

Liba

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 6:43 pm
Do you have a pot with a lid big enough to fit your matzah into?

Simple1

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 6:43 pm
My SIL has done it. I don't do it myself because I bought a cheap toaster oven for Pesach. But I think she put matza with sauce and cheese in a fry pan and heated it till the cheese melts. I would imagine you have to keep the heat low enough not to burn the matza. You may have to experiment.

Simple1

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 6:45 pm
Liba wrote:
Do you have a pot with a lid big enough to fit your matzah into?

If not she can break up the matzh to fit.

Liba

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 6:45 pm
If you have a pan with a lid big enough, my suggestion would be to ball up some foil on the bottom to rest the matzah pizza on, put in the matzah pizza, put on the cover and heat until the cheese is melted. Smile I have never done it, so there may be better ideas, but I think it would work. Smile

Simple1

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 6:50 pm
Liba wrote:
If you have a pan with a lid big enough, my suggestion would be to ball up some foil on the bottom to rest the matzah pizza on, put in the matzah pizza, put on the cover and heat until the cheese is melted. Smile I have never done it, so there may be better ideas, but I think it would work. Smile

This sounds like a good idea. My toaster is really too small for the family really so maybe I'll try it.

I just wanted to add a suggestion - if you don't have a lid, maybe you can use a piece of tin foil.

ElTam

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 6:51 pm
Made it last night. Just keep the flame on low. Set up the pizza normally and keep an eye on it. Mine came out fine. I had to break the matza because my frying pan is a little too small.

The finer I grated the cheese, the better it worked.

granolamom

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 6:52 pm
ok, I make matzo pizza on the stove top. my kids and my brother & sil love it, I think its, um, not very appetizing and havent been able to bring myself to taste it.
with that, here's how I do it...
I use a cast iron skillet. I like the way they heat and conduct, dont get me started but its the only type of skillet worth using imo.
lightly oil it. heat it on med/high flame.
prepare your matzo...machine matzo is easier to fit in the pan, but we have hand shmura so I kinda break it into halves and slightly overlap the middle seam. spread pizza sauce (kids say gefen oregano is best) then with shredded mozzerella cheese.
when skillet is nice and hot, drop a bit, like a tsp, of water on it to create some steam, lay the matzo pizza on the skillet and cover. I dont have a real lid, I use aluminum foil. lower flame to med.
now you have to keep checking on it so it doesnt burn and I keep adding drops of water from time to time to keep the steam going. I think it helps cook the cheese before the bottom burns. only not too much water or the bottom gets soggy.
overall, its a real pain in the neck. if my kids didnt love love love it so much I wouldnt bother.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 7:03 pm
I would probably make a matza brei base and then once it was mostly cooked but not solid, let it sit sort of like an omelette and solidify. then add tomato sauce and cheese. I don't know that covering it with a pot lid would work- thinking all that steam would make it soggy but foil to keep the heat in and then also be able to let steam out seems like an idea.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 7:10 pm
Thanks all, I'll have to try it tomorrow and then I'll let you know how it went bl'n. I just bought myself a frying pan for milichig and the only other milichig hot pot I have is a very small and lousy one with a lid. I think it's better to try it on the pan. I can't buy more things because I don't have any place to store it once pesach is over.

smile85

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 7:21 pm
We use square matzos, and have a pretty big frying pan.
my father coats the matzo in egg, places it in the frying pan whole, and tops it with sauce and cheese. the heat will melt the cheese from the bottom. it's delish.
The egg coating on the matzo really helps

rashel

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 6:24 pm
keep it simple- heat up a little oil- fit in some matzah-smear with mirinara sauce-add shredded cheese-cover-lower the flame-ready when melted-been doing it for years

yo'ma

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 7:50 pm
I did it. Thank you everyone. Don't ask how I did it because for each batch I made it a little different. It was very easy. My kids seemed to like it, but for me, leftovers Smile .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics