Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
The papilloma virus

cinnamon

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 1:26 pm
Did anyone vaccinate their daughters against it?
Why yes or why not?
I don't have daughters that age yet but my sister is contemplating it and asked me to ask some of you experienced moms.

Thanks!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 1:30 pm
You're talking about Gardasil and HPV?

I would not vaccinate my daughters with that.

The risks of the vaccine seem a lot greater to me than the risks of those certain strains it's supposed to guard against being contracted by a still frum girl which would then turn into cervical cancer which would not be caught by a regular Pap smear. Meaning there are too many variables involved to make it such a great risk that 1)girl leading a religious lifestyle would get it 2)and it would be a strain the vaccine is designed to protect against and 3)it would cause cancerous lesions and 4)it would not be caught in time by a pap smear.

That is my personal take for my personal circumstances.

cinnamon

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 1:50 pm
Thanks HY, I'll tell her your take on things.
Any one else has any input?

amother

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 4:05 pm
It's a seemingly safe vaccine - at least according to all of the research, no side effects have been found. I got the vaccine when it first came out and have had no side effects B"H.

Yes, you can only get it through contact that a frum lifestyle generally does not encourage. That being said...things don't always go the way we plan/hope. What if your daughter marries a BT or convert? It's symptomless and is not tested for in males. HPV can lead to c"v cervical cancer, which I'm sure you already know.

That all being said, you need to do your own research and really have a serious and honest discussion with your doctor. Also, be aware that choosing to vaccinate will open up a can of worms and may lead to an awkward conversation with your daughter... Hope that helped/gave you what to think about.

amother

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 4:07 pm
Same amother as above ---

Just reread OP - I don't have daughters that age like you asked about but am weighing in from a healthcare perspective.

ElTam

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 8:44 pm
I will not let my girls get it at age 11 as suggested. I expect to know what my child is doing at that age and from what I have read, much of the protection wears off by the time they are in their early 20s, when frum girls might be exposed. I might consider giving it when my girls get older, closer to marriage age. Imamother has opened my eyes to what some frum men get up to. (It's not just BTs and converts who might be exposed, despite what the poster above said.)

That being said, I would do a lot more research as the time gets closer. It's fairly new and there will be many more studies available in the coming years.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics