Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ds closing one eye when looking far- what does this mean?

rovacat

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 10:04 am
I just noticed that 3.5 year old ds started closing his right eye when trying to see something far.
could this mean he has bad eye sight? he had an eye infection 2 weeks ago. we gave him antibiotic drops and it went away right away. I asked him today why he's closing his eye. he told me it's from his eye infection. I don't know if he's just saying that because that's the last time I was concerned with his eye.
I held up fingers from across the room and he saw how many I was holding up. so he definitely sees.
could it just be a nervous habit he's developing?
I'm curious if any of you imamothers ever had this with your kids, and what it meant.
I called his pediatrician and left a message. so I'll get it checked out. I'm just nervous, and curious if anyone else had this. tia!

Liba

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 10:21 am
Smile It doesn't hurt to make an appointment with an eye doctor to get it checked out. I did the same thing for years because I was nearsighted in one eye. It could be something, or it could be nothing.

amother

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 10:14 pm
usually it means they are nearsighted. A trip to the eye doctor is warranted regardless.

groisamomma

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 10:45 pm
rovacat wrote:
I just noticed that 3.5 year old ds started closing his right eye when trying to see something far.
could this mean he has bad eye sight? he had an eye infection 2 weeks ago. we gave him antibiotic drops and it went away right away. I asked him today why he's closing his eye. he told me it's from his eye infection. I don't know if he's just saying that because that's the last time I was concerned with his eye.
I held up fingers from across the room and he saw how many I was holding up. so he definitely sees.
could it just be a nervous habit he's developing?
I'm curious if any of you imamothers ever had this with your kids, and what it meant.
I called his pediatrician and left a message. so I'll get it checked out. I'm just nervous, and curious if anyone else had this. tia!

He is correct. I do this and it is because of your son's eye infection. I have what is known as chronic conjunctivitis where there is constantly a thin layer of pus lining my right eye. It comes and goes and I have drops to use when it does happen (quite often for long periods of times). It first developed when I let an eye infection go untreated for several months. It's not obvious from the outside of the eye and the only way my dh knows it's irritating me is when I automatically close my right eye to get a clearer picture of something (signs while driving, etc.).

To see anything far clearly, I close my right eye and use only my left, clearer eye. It feels as if the "bad eye" needs a higher prescription when in fact that's not the case. When that eye is completely clear it tests at the exact same number as the left one. There's nothing but drops for the doctor to give you, but definitely be on top of it and visit the eye doctor with your ds often.

amother

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 10:55 pm
He only started doing this after the infection? was it just in one eye (maybe I missed that part...)

I have noncorrectable very very bad eyesight in one eye and I close that one a lot to use the better eye. It's just a habit....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics