Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Is " Micha'el " a name??
Previous  1  2

Optione

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 9:08 pm
as in the name of one of the malachim? Yes, I have heard/seen it, usually spelled "Michoel".

ROFL

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 11:49 pm
I have a Michael Pronounced the Hebrew way. Not Michoel, which is a more English version. I love the name. ( and the meaning of the name. Me. Ka'el. Who is like hashem.
Marion , I also have another sone named shai. Love both those guys as well as my two daughters !

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 2:47 am
What about Mikhael?
Would that work?
I'd think you'd get a lot of raised eyebrows from non Hebrew speakers who would think you are just being trendy with altternative spelling but it is a correct transliteration and anyone who does know the Hebrew name would probably understand.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 9:00 am
chanchy123 wrote:
What about Mikhael?
Would that work?
I'd think you'd get a lot of raised eyebrows from non Hebrew speakers who would think you are just being trendy with altternative spelling but it is a correct transliteration and anyone who does know the Hebrew name would probably understand.

I don't speak Russian, but the "kh" in the spelling SCREAMS "Russian" to me, so I'd pronounce "Mikhael" as "Meek-HIGH-el". Like Mikhail Gorbachev.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 11:31 am
You can write Mihael if you want to show it's not Mykul. People do that in France to show it's a "kh" sound. I see Mikhaël too.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 11:44 am
Ruchel wrote:
You can write Mihael if you want to show it's not Mykul. People do that in France to show it's a "kh" sound. I see Mikhaël too.

The correct transliteration for the letter כ is "kh" "h" substitutes a ח.

cm

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 12:01 pm
Ruchel wrote:

I'm not sure if the OP is American, but I'm afraid in colloquial American English no one would understand "Mihael" as having a gutteral "h" sound or being separated into three syllables.

I like your second idea, although I'm afraid it's the rare American who knows what an umlaut does. And while I agree with bigsis144 - "kh" looks like Russian - I think this solution might be the best choice for getting English-speakers who do not use gutteral sounds in daily speech to approximate the correct Hebrew sound of the name.

cm

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 12:10 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
The correct transliteration for the letter כ is "kh" "h" substitutes a ח.

Perhaps in academic circles - but from a practical perspective I would use "ch" for a gutteral "h" sound as long as the context suggests that this is a non-English word.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 12:16 pm
We had a hard time transliterating.
To people here, ch = sh, h= kh, kh = also kh but rarer. Chalom alehem. Or chalom ale'hem. See what I mean?
Some names also looked better with a ch or h. So one "kh" sound he did h, and another we did ch. LOL
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names