Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
What food do u send with your kid to daycare???

libramom

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 6:39 am
I'm sending my 2.5 ds in september to daycare. (for the first time)
he will not eat a sandwich!
I've tried bread, pita, bagel and everything inside ie pb&j, cream cheese, butter, pareve hot dogs
I've been trying to "train" him in over the summer
but it ain't really working.
any ideas? do the morah's allow other types of food? spaghetti, yogurt etc?
I really don't know what I'm going to do...

pinkbubbles

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 7:12 am
fish sticks, fish patties, pasta, crackers, rice cakes, bread sticks, cheese cut into squares, tuna...

If he doesn't eat sandwiches the teacher doesn't really have a choice..

BUT he will eat a sandwich if I feed it to him in little bites. The bread has to be really fresh. He also eats PLAIN rolls or bagels, but also has to be freshly bought. Not from the freezer.

I'm dealing with the same thing btw Wink

libramom

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 7:47 am
so does the teacher feed him the tuna? the pasta? or he just eats by himself and makes a huge mess??
he'll eat plain bagel/pita but I don't want to send him for a whole day with no protein...

smss

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 7:50 am
you have to talk to the teacher. sometimes they're reasonable about stuff like this and sometimes they're absolutely insane. I have totally seen teachers that would rather you send your kid with a plain piece of white bread than a yogurt or an apple.

Shopmiami49

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 7:53 am
You really need to speak with the teacher to find out. In my gan, it is very difficult when the child does not eat sandwiches and I work together with the parents to try to find an alternative that he can feed to himself. Since I am the main caretaker, it is impossible for me to sit there spoonfeeding kids every day. I did have a child this year who I did that for because there was no other choice - I wouldn't let him starve! But for sure speak to the teacher.

As a side, kids in my gan have brought yogurts with straws poked in to sip it with or the corner of the top snipped off so that they could drink it. Another popular thing is string cheese or a whole wheat cracker sandwhich with peanut butter.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 3:41 pm
libramom wrote:
so does the teacher feed him the tuna? the pasta? or he just eats by himself and makes a huge mess??
he'll eat plain bagel/pita but I don't want to send him for a whole day with no protein...

Do kids this age ever get fed? My kids stopped being "fed" by me when they were about a year old. Sure, they made a mess at the beginning, but then they got better at it. If you're going to train your kid to do something before daycare starts, I would go with "eating on his own" rather than "eating a sandwich."

Sure, some things are hard to eat. Yogurt, for example. But crackers? A bowl of noodles? Apple slices? Sure, all kids will make some mess with those foods. But would a daycare provider really care so much? So you clean up after them. Kids make crumbs eating sandwiches too.

I can't vouch for what "most" daycares do. Only what makes sense to me. And forcing a kid to eat a sandwich when there are so many other fine foods out there just seems random. Unless your kid is realy messy, by 2.5 he should be able to eat things with some, but minimal, mess that are not sandwiches.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 3:54 pm
finger food.
dd didn't either eat sandwiches.

pasta - choose one that's easy to eat dry with little fingers
chicken nuggels
fish sticks
yogurt with a straw
hard egg
string cheese
american cheese
banana
apple slices

send along a piece of bread with these. no reason your child can't bring his protein and starch in 2 separate baggies.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics