Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Corn goes straight through!

ABC

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 4:47 am
My 1 year old love the little corn pieces, but I find it comes straight through his system and ends up in his diaper. Is it bad for him to eat it? If not, does he gain anything nutritionally from it?

ewa-jo

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 4:55 am
Is he chewing them or just swallowing? It sounds like he's swallowing the pieces without chewing so well. My baby is almost 1 and she only has 2 teeth, so I doubt she'd doing much hardcorechewing.

Maybe try creamed corn instead? It seems to me that because it's somewhat smushed up, it would be easier to digest and that your baby would get nutrients from it. If something is just passing through and coming out the same way it came in, I don't think he's getting calories or vitamins from it.

smilethere

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 4:55 am
Totally normal, I think it happens with adults too, we just don't check. (I've seen it with my toddlers on the toilet as well).

Don't know how much nutritional content corn has anyway.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 7:16 am
That happens to everyone. Canned corn probably has some fiber. But I don't really count canned veg in general.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 7:17 am
Totally normal. I always recommend it to mothers who say their children are constipated!

sarahd

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 10:07 am
Yup. My four year old son, who's often constipated, asks me for corn so he can clean himself out. It helps that he likes corn.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 10:10 am
Happens to me 2!! every time, without fail

amother

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 10:10 am
Happens to me 2!! every time, without fail

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 10:20 am
ewa-jo wrote:
Is he chewing them or just swallowing? It sounds like he's swallowing the pieces without chewing so well. My baby is almost 1 and she only has 2 teeth, so I doubt she'd doing much hardcorechewing.

Maybe try creamed corn instead? It seems to me that because it's somewhat smushed up, it would be easier to digest and that your baby would get nutrients from it. If something is just passing through and coming out the same way it came in, I don't think he's getting calories or vitamins from it.

It's good for him that it passes through. Cleans out his digestive system. Regular corn on the cob does the same thing. For adults too, but we don't examine the toilet.

Creamed corn for more nutrition? It just has a ton of added sugar and starch, and gets his taste buds used to sweet things. Na, I'd stick with regular corn. You can get the no sodium cans or just give your one year old an ear of corn to gnaw on. My kids loved it at that age!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics