Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler and newborn to sleep in the same room

amother

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 8:49 am
I'm pregnant right now and due in a couple of months when my toddler will be 21 months old. He's a light sleeper so he wakes up when I go in the room. He sleeps through the night since he's been a year old because I used the cry it out method so now he knows how to sleep alone. He takes one nap a day (sometimes two if he doesn't sleep much), and I have to rock him to sleep because he can't fall alseep alone for nap times. Anyway, we only have ONE bedroom and we can't afford to move right now. We can squeeze another baby in the room since it's a big room. My only concern is that when the newborn B"H will arrive, my toddler will wake up everytime the newborn will cry at night. I won't be able to put him back to sleep if I'll have to be with the newborn... so how will it work? Has anyone had to deal with a toddler and newborn in the same room? any tips?

amother

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 9:38 am
can you fit a mini porta crib in your own bedroom for the first few months?

chevron

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 10:10 am
Keep the newborn in your room or another room in apt(dining room) until hes sleeping better.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 12:01 pm
I don't know if I was clear enough, but we only have one bedroom so our toddler is in our bedroom so the newborn will also be there. We were thinking about sleeping in the living room in the beginning with the newborn arrives.

chevron

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 12:52 pm
Same issue here. why don't you make the living room HIS NEW ROOM.

GetReal

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 1:01 pm
We had this situation. We put our older son to sleep in our room each night, and when we were ready to go to sleep, we switched him to the living room, and we and the baby slept in our room.

It got a little nuts when I wanted the baby out of our room so he would sleep better - but that comes later on. (we put the baby in the kitchen and I went a little crazy until we moved.)

amother

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 2:13 pm
I'm in the same situation and plan on switching my older son (now 18 months old) to the living room and then having the baby in the bedroom with me. meaning my son can start off the night in my bedroom and then when we go to sleep, I transfer him into the living room.

good luck!

Gerbera

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 2:49 pm
white noise machine - works for us!

EvenI

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 3:19 pm
Perhaps put your toddler's bed permanently in the living room, especially if there is a door to the room that you can close, and cope without being able to use the living room in the evening hours, if that could work for you. At 21 months old, I'm not surprised he wakes up when you walk in the room. Even if you weren't having a new baby, you might find it less stressful to move him out of your bedroom.

The thing is though, if you move him out to the living room, and let's say you put your baby down to sleep in the evening in your bedroom, then you've placed both main rooms out of use in the evening, so I would be tempted to have the baby sleep in something small on wheels, like a light small crib or bassinet that is easy to wheel around and try to have the baby sleep in the living room in the evening as well, and then move the baby into your room when you go to bed. Then you could have your bedroom and kitchen for use in the evening. Having said that, your newborn might be able to sleep without the light off and with some noise around anyway.

mommyhood

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 3:41 pm
Definitely put the toddler to sleep in you living room, or put him to sleep in the bedroom and then transfer him to the LR when you're ready to go to sleep.
If you choose to keep both in your room try a white noise machine or hope that your toddler becomes a deeper sleeper. My first was a very light sleeper and after I put her together with the baby she started sleeping through the baby's cries.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 7:13 pm
Thanks for your suggestions. I think at first I'll try to put the newborn and toddler in the same room and see what happens. I'll also try to put one of them in the living room. The only problem is that the living room is not big and sometimes there's noise from the neighbor upstairs. Also, my toddler goes to sleep early (around 7:00pm) so if he goes to sleep in the living room, my husband sometimes comes back from work at that hour! so I'm not sure how it would work out in the living room as well. I'm sure it will take some time, I just hope it will work out.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 7:17 pm
I forgot to write that it's the OP above this post.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics