Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Brocha parties

socialbird

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 1:35 pm
Please can someone tell me how a brocha party would work? We are thinking of having one on behalf of someone who needs a refuah shelaima but have never been to one before.
All suggestions, experiences etc welcome Smile
Thanks in advance.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 1:46 pm
A family in my building used to have a brachos party every Shabbos afternoon for a while, and this is how they did it:

One (or more) food(s) for each bracha -- a mezonos, hagafen, ha'etz, ha'adama, shehakol.
So for example, cake/cookies, grape juice, grapes/oranges, watermelon/kettle chips, chocolates/soda.

Everyone prepared themselves a plate with one of every bracha represented, then we went around the table, one bracha at a time, with each person saying the bracha out loud and everyone else answering amen. The little kids had a hard time being patient and often skipped ahead, quietly saying the brachos for whatever food they wanted to eat most, but unless you've got a HUGE crowd, it's not a super-long deal.

They also had the various types of smell brachos represented -- haNosein re'ach tov ba'peros (ex. smelling a fragrant lemon), borei isvei besamim (ex. hadassim or rosemary), borei minei besamim (ex. a bottle of perfume) -- that they'd pass around the table.

socialbird

Post Tue, Jul 24 2012, 3:19 am
Thank you so much!!

sunflower_seed

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 2:49 pm
We also do brochos party in our community.
Just a small note- you can not say the brocha shehakol on water or soda after you made a brochoa on grape juice. After saying the brocho on hagofon you cant say shehakol on other liquids- only on solids.
So told by my dh.
Kol hakavod for the idea, I have heard about good results.
Hazlocha
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics