Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Just wondering.......

amother

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 5:16 pm
is there a way to keep my very cute 10 month old away from my sefurim? every time I turn around I have a pile on the floor At wits end

enneamom

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 5:22 pm
Overstuff the shelf so they're wedged in tightly? Empty the bottom shelves and keep them only on the higher ones, where they're out of reach?

sped

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 5:28 pm
We packed them in so well that it was hard for me to take one out.

seeker

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 6:06 pm
What they said, and/or attach doors to your bookcase and close them with a baby lock.

We have one bookcase with doors and the others the bottom 2 shelves are baby toys/books. By the time she could reach higher, she could learn to follow rules.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 7:17 pm
Thanx everyone, I'm gnna try over stuffing them.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 8:39 am
just an update, I over stuffed the shelves and bh it seems to have worked ( it so cute how he tries so hard to pull them out and they dn't come out) thanx everyone for your help

willow

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 11:09 am
I hope that works for you. My son just got better at unstuffing the shelves.

mommy#1

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 12:18 pm
when my son started emptying the shelves, we overstuffed them so that I couldnt get any seforim out. somehow he managed though! LOL

db815

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 12:23 pm
A little off topic, but how does everyone deal with toddlers dumping out EVRYTHING! I mean my whole house is literally on the floor whenever we are home. I tried locks, she pulls them off! Like my night table- she loves taking out all the chargers, pictures, etc. and drawers of clothes- forget about it she dumps out 100 shirts at a time. Then she moves on to the kitchen and takes out all my pots and pans, the bathrooms, forget about, we keep the doors closed, but if we forget, there are tissues and water all over!.......my house is clean but constantly looks like a disaster! She wont play with toys, I bought her tons, she has no interest. SHe will only go for non-toy items. Sometimes it really annoys me, as I am alyas having to pick up after her. But then I think, all kids do this, its part of it...any advice?

mommy#1

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 12:34 pm
how old is she? my DS did that a lot when he was younger and I just grinned and beared it. and cleaned up every night for what seemed like hours! but now, when I see hes about to empty out everything, I sit down to play with him on the floor with his toys. if im busy making supper or something, ill let him take out 1 pot or bowl and tell him that is it. we also emptied out 1 cabinet under the sink, and that is his cabinet. he takes the pot into it and plays there. he loves it; it really keeps him entertained. if shes too young to understand the concept of only 1, sorry, I have no advice!!!

bigprincess

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 12:42 pm
I installed locks on all drawers I did not want touched. I left out drawers here and there so he shouldn't be bored. I also kept the bathroom door locked.

superjew

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 12:45 pm
mommy#1 wrote:
how old is she? my DS did that a lot when he was younger and I just grinned and beared it. and cleaned up every night for what seemed like hours! but now, when I see hes about to empty out everything, I sit down to play with him on the floor with his toys. if im busy making supper or something, ill let him take out 1 pot or bowl and tell him that is it. we also emptied out 1 cabinet under the sink, and that is his cabinet. he takes the pot into it and plays there. he loves it; it really keeps him entertained. if shes too young to understand the concept of only 1, sorry, I have no advice!!!

We did/do this too! DS now even says "One ___ and thats it!" LOL Its his negotiation when I say a simple 'no' because we dont have time or ein li koach. LOL

db815

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 1:11 pm
mommy#1 wrote:

Mommy, she is 14 months- I like the idea of giving him his own cabinet, very smart! I will give it a try, its just humerous already, like why doesnt she like toys?? Are all kids like this?

alwaybhappy

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 1:29 pm
db815 wrote:
A little off topic, but how does everyone deal with toddlers dumping out EVRYTHING! I mean my whole house is literally on the floor whenever we are home. I tried locks, she pulls them off! Like my night table- she loves taking out all the chargers, pictures, etc. and drawers of clothes- forget about it she dumps out 100 shirts at a time. Then she moves on to the kitchen and takes out all my pots and pans, the bathrooms, forget about, we keep the doors closed, but if we forget, there are tissues and water all over!.......my house is clean but constantly looks like a disaster! She wont play with toys, I bought her tons, she has no interest. SHe will only go for non-toy items. Sometimes it really annoys me, as I am alyas having to pick up after her. But then I think, all kids do this, its part of it...any advice?

I have the same problem.
The end of the day is the worst! That is when she literally walks around emptying everything and making the bigest mess ever. I spend all day cleaning even though I know I should just wait till she's asleep to clean up. But I notices she likes it better when the place is clean (don't we all!?)(and my apt is tiny..)
My dd is 18 months.
Yes, it is sooo normal that she'd rather play with all that stuff over her toys. It is so much more fun to make it hard for mommy!! And it is their way of exploring and learning.
I started keeping my bedroom door shut as much as possible so that she doesn't empty all the shelves of clothing. I used to let her and then just clean it up (and I also emptied the bottom shelf and put her toys), but now that she can reach the next 2 shelves I don't have koach anymore....

Good luck, and as they say "it doesn't last forever"

alwaybhappy

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 1:32 pm
amother wrote:
is there a way to keep my very cute 10 month old away from my sefurim? every time I turn around I have a pile on the floor At wits end

I made the 2 bottom shelves of the seforim shelf just her toys. she still tries to reach the higher shelves and "asks" me to get her 'books' but the toy solution worked.

db815

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 4:51 pm
alwaybhappy wrote:
db815 wrote:

I have the same problem.
The end of the day is the worst! That is when she literally walks around emptying everything and making the bigest mess ever. I spend all day cleaning even though I know I should just wait till she's asleep to clean up. But I notices she likes it better when the place is clean (don't we all!?)(and my apt is tiny..)
My dd is 18 months.
Yes, it is sooo normal that she'd rather play with all that stuff over her toys. It is so much more fun to make it hard for mommy!! And it is their way of exploring and learning.
I started keeping my bedroom door shut as much as possible so that she doesn't empty all the shelves of clothing. I used to let her and then just clean it up (and I also emptied the bottom shelf and put her toys), but now that she can reach the next 2 shelves I don't have koach anymore....

Good luck, and as they say "it doesn't last forever"

Thanks alwaysbehappy, Im glad to know shes perfectly normal:)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics