Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Mildew?

amother

Post Mon, Aug 20 2012, 5:10 am
K, I'm posting anonymously because I'm a bit embarrassed to not know this. I recently moved, and in my kids' bathroom, there is black stuff between the tiles in the tub/shower. The caulk all around is also blackish, so my husband plans on stripping it and re-caulking. The stuff between the tiles-is that mildew? The last place I lived didn't have this, and I cleaned the shower tiles at least once a week, and I never saw any black stuff anywhere.
If this is mildew-is there a natural way to remove this-I don't want to buy typical chemical laden cleansers (no discussion about this please). I live in Israel and the eco-friendly, more natural brands, only have limescale remover, and toilet/general bathroom cleaner. Generally I use vinegar to clean.
Any ideas?
tia...

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Aug 20 2012, 5:21 am
Bleach kills black mold.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Aug 20 2012, 5:22 am
And that black mold is far more dangerous to me than bleach used appropriately. Strip the caulking and redo it. Bleach the tiles. Once done, maintains periodically will help. Vinegar makes things shiny but does not kill germs or mold.

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 20 2012, 10:12 am
Full strength vinegar actually works quite well against mildew and is kinder to the tile, grout and environment than is bleach, especially if you use it as a preventative before mildew gets its claws dug in. Stripping the old caulk is a good idea, and then you can keep mildew at bay by using vinegar on a regular basis.

Don't use a cannon to swat flies, kwim?

amother

Post Mon, Aug 20 2012, 1:31 pm
Thanks. we can strip the caulk, but what about the stuff on the grout between the wall tiles? Its not caulk.
And I don't think it's black mold. Is it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry